Chapter 2 : Detective work

Cleo stared out the window as her sister Maya drove her to school, lost in thoughts about Lynn. She was jolted back to reality when Maya suddenly hit the brakes.

"Shit," Maya cursed, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

Cleo snapped out of her daydream, glancing around. Lynn zoomed past their car on her bike, her messy ponytail whipping in the wind. A boy shouted after her, "Lynn, slow down!"

"You need to catch up, Stickoln!" Lynn yelled back, her laughter echoing in the morning air.

Maya sighed angrily. "I wish I had hit her with my car," she muttered through clenched teeth.

Cleo was taken aback. "Woah, Maya, chill out!"

"What? She should be more careful. People can get hurt," Maya argued, her knuckles white on the steering wheel.

"Maya, it's a shared zone. Pedestrians and bikers have the right of way, especially in a school zone. Plus, you're not even going the appropriate speed limit," Cleo explained calmly, trying to defuse her sister's anger.

"Whatever, CC. Just get to school," Maya snapped, pulling into the parking lot.

Cleo sighed, grabbing her backpack. "You really need to let this go, Maya. Holding onto anger isn't healthy."

Maya rolled her eyes. "Yeah, well, tell that to Lynn. She's the one who needs to change. Not me."

Cleo climbed out of the car, feeling the weight of her sister's words. "I'll see you later," she said, shutting the door gently.

Maya watched her sister walk towards the school entrance. "Just stay out of trouble, CC," she called after her, her voice softer now.

Cleo turned and gave her a small wave before disappearing into the crowd of students.

---

Cleo entered the chaotic halls of middle school and made her way directly to Natalie, her mind still lingering on Lynn's recent actions.

"So, is your shoulder feeling better?" Cleo asked, trying to keep her focus on Natalie.

"Way better," Natalie replied, but Cleo's attention was elsewhere—fixed on Lynn passing by, surrounded by her usual entourage of friends.

"Cleo," Natalie called, noticing Cleo's distraction.

"What?" Cleo replied tersely, tearing her gaze away from Lynn.

"Come on, you can't still be fixated on this," Natalie sighed disappointedly. "I thought a good night's sleep would knock you out of this."

Cleo hesitated, her thoughts racing. "It's just... I can't shake the feeling that there's more to her than meets the eye. Maybe if I try to understand her better..."

Natalie shook her head, concern evident in her voice. "Just promise me you'll be careful, Cleo. I don't want to see you get hurt trying to befriend someone who doesn't want friends."

Cleo nodded slowly, her resolve wavering but not broken. "I hear you, Nat. I'll be cautious, I promise."

Natalie placed a reassuring hand on Cleo's shoulder. "Good. Lynn's unpredictable, Cleo. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you."

Cleo smiled weakly. "I won't. Thanks, Nat."

As they walked to their next class together, Cleo couldn't help but glance back at Lynn, who was now engrossed in a heated discussion with one of her friends. The mystery surrounding Lynn only seemed to deepen with each passing day, leaving Cleo torn between curiosity and caution.