Kangaroo dance

"Wake up!" Natalie's voice jerks her awake, shaking her from her sleep.

Cleo groaned, pulling the blanket over her head. "Natalie, it's 8 a.m. It's too early," she mumbled, her voice muffled by the blanket.

"It's never too early to prepare for the Kangaroo Middle School dance! Come on, it's our last year and the other eighth graders will be here soon," Natalie insisted, yanking the blanket off Cleo with a playful grin.

Cleo sighed, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. She had slept over at Natalie's house because Natalie was in charge of the dance preparations for the eighth graders. Most of their friends/classmates would be gathering here today. Cleo couldn't help but wonder if Lincoln had the sixth-graders under control and if Lynn would stay with him or head here instead.

Soon, the house was already filled with eighth graders. Cleo wasn't really surprised not to see Lynn at Natalie's house, given how busy everyone was. She decided to text Lynn, but there was no reply.

Her thoughts drifted to the dance, and she wondered if she could muster the courage to ask Lynn to go with her... as friends. The idea made her heart race a little. It's normal to go as friends right? it's not at all weird she thought to herself.

"Hey, Natalie, I'm just gonna head out. I forgot something at home," Cleo said, trying to sound casual.

"Okay, sure," Natalie replied, barely glancing up from the decorations she was sorting. Cleo grabbed her jacket and headed out the door, her mind racing.

Cleo could already see how busy the Loud house was from a block away, filled with sixth graders.

As she approached the house, she made eye contact with Lori, who gave her a small smile. Cleo had been afraid that Lori would hate her after the whole ordeal a few days ago, but it looked like that wasn't the case. That was a relief; Lori hating her was the last thing she wanted.

"Howdy, I'm Liam. Mind if I interview?" a kid popped out of nowhere.

"Uh, sure," Cleo replied, taken aback.

"So, you're an eighth grader. What are you doing here? Don't you guys have your own pre-party?" Liam asked, curiosity sparkling in his eyes as points the camera towards her.

"We do, but I decided to see what Lynn was up to," Cleo explained.

"So, do you plan on running for the Kangaroo queen since you're already part of the royal court?" Liam inquired.

"That would be awesome, but I don't think many people would vote for me," Cleo said modestly.

"Why is that?" Liam asked, genuinely curious.

"I don't know. Besides, Natalie deserves it more than me," Cleo responded.

"And may I ask for the people who don't know? Who's Natalie?" Liam asked.

"My best friend," Cleo answered with a fond smile.

"But do you want it?" Liam pressed.

Cleo stayed quiet for a while. "I'll leave you be," Liam said, sensing her hesitation.

Cleo entered the house and saw Lynn staring intensely at the TV, wearing a baseball jersey.

"Lynn?" she called out, but Lynn was still engrossed to the TV.

"Hello, Earth to Lynn," Cleo teased gently, waving her hands in front of her.