Chapter 3: The chore thing

Cleo stood on the doorstep of the Loud house, taking in the cozy, lived-in appearance of the house. Toys, bikes, and sports equipment were scattered across the lawn, giving it a homey feel. She nervously checked her pocket to ensure the baseball was still there.

Taking a big breath she calm herself as
she knocks on the door, seconds later it swung open revealing Leni Loud. She wore her trademark sunglasses and looked like she had just woken up.

Leni's presence left Cleo momentarily star-struck. Leni tilted her head, like she was studying the girl, Cleo felt like being judged but all Leni was trying to do was figure out if she knew the girl in front of her was.

"Oh, hi! I'm Leni," she greeted cheerfully with a wave, realizing she had no idea who the girl in front of her was.

Cleo momentarily forgot how to act, feeling a mix of admiration and nervousness. She had only planned to return the baseball to Lynn but forgot that Lynn had siblings and one of her siblings was Leni Loud, one of the girls from high school she strongly admired and aspired to be like one day.

"Um, hi," Cleo swallowed nervously. "I'm... I'm Cl.. Cleo," She said with a nervous smile.

"Oh, Cleo! I'm loving the outfit," Leni admired warmly.

"Oh, thanks," Cleo blushed, her cheeks warming. "I mean, I didn't even try; it was the first thing in reach," she rambled nervously, her words stumbling over each other but before she could mess up more she was saved by a sharp whistle.

A tall man then appeared behind Leni. Cleo recognized him from pictures she'd seen; he was their father. She suddenly felt like she was interrupting something.

He turned to the front door, seeing one of his daughters with someone he didn't recognize but assumed to be one of the kids' friends.

"Leni, who's your friend?" he asked in a friendly manner. He seemed nice, no wonder his kids looked like they loved him based on what she saw on social media.

"This is my friend Cleo," Leni said casually.

Cleo felt butterflies in her stomach. Leni called her her friend. She was friends with Leni Loud. This was the best day ever.

"Ah, well, it's chore day, so if she wants to help out she is free to join," their dad said as both him and Leni stared at her, waiting for an answer.

Now Cleo could do two things: hand the baseball to them and be free or accept the invitation and do more digging to figure out Lynn. She took a deep breath clutching the baseball in her pocket.

"I would love to help out," she smiled.

"Ah! Perfect! The more, the merrier," their dad cheered as he walked forward to the living room.

Upon entering the home, she immediately saw Lynn descending the stairs, a look of annoyance on her face, followed closely by her siblings who looked equally irritated.

"Cleo?" Lynn stopped in her tracks, her expression shifting to one of confusion. She hadn't realised Cleo knew where she lived and was now wondering what Cleo was doing in her house.

"Hey, Lynn," Cleo greeted with an innocent smile, "I-"

"Come on, kids, we don't got all day" Their father exclaimed.

Lynn sighs tiredly "Hold that thought," Lynn interrupted abruptly, "Family meeting. It's important."

Cleo followed Lynn and found herself standing between Lynn and a younger girl in a pink gown. Beside her was another girl who bore a striking resemblance; Cleo assumed the two were twins.