Two Hot Men

Lilith

"Hey Lily, I want you to know something. Listen very closely. The only way to get what you want in this world is through hard work. You'll hear all those other girls saying it's through being pretty and marrying rich but there's nothing more attractive and rewarding than being a hard-working woman" my mother tells me holding my hand as we walk through the dollar store.

"But if I marry a rich guy then I'd be rich too right?" I ask her genuinely curious. She laughs at this. "Technically, yes, but you wouldn't exactly be rich, you'd just have access to riches. Wouldn't you wanna be guaranteed riches?" She asks me and I think long and hard about it.

"I guess so, yeah," I say looking at all the notebooks in the aisle. "Then let's get you everything you need to work hard and be the rich one," she says helping me pick out school supplies for my first day of 3rd grade.

"You're so smart Lily, don't let anyone make you feel stupid, your intelligence is your strength. Keep it close and use it. Don't let anyone take advantage of you. Especially men.

Now

I open my eyes from a long nap. I didn't even realize I fell asleep. I look over to see Caleb. He yawns as he drives. I look at the fancy screen where the radio should be.

4:35 am.

Wow, we've been driving for a long time. Just under another few hours left according to the maps thing also on the screen.

"Did you have a good nap? I heard you mumbling," Caleb suddenly asks me. I sit up straight and sigh.

"Yeah sorry I guess I was dreaming," I say looking out the window and watching all of the houses and shops go by. "Anything worth mentioning?" He asks me. I think for a moment. The answer is yes, my mother is always worth mentioning but should I be telling this man I barely know about it?

I decided to tell him a little bit.

"Yeah, my mother. I've been dreaming about her a lot since- she died," that last part hurt a lot to say. I guess I'm still in shock that she's gone. A little less than forty-eight hours ago she was alive and well. Now I'm sitting in a car to go live with my father whom I've never met.

Funny how that all works.

"How did you find out about me?" I ask him quietly. He glances over at me and then back at the road. "Open the glove box," he tells me and I do. I reach to open the glove box and it's practically empty. Just a yellow envelope. I take it out because I recognize the signature on the front.

Jessica Finn. My mother.

I look over at Caleb, my father. He nods and I take that as permission to open the letter.

Caleb,

My name is Jessica Finn. You may not remember me but we had a small fling one summer night and one date another summer day almost 18 years ago. I'm writing you this letter because I think it's time you know, we have a child. A beautiful girl.

Her name is Lilith. She's 17 and she's the smartest and sweetest girl in the world. She has your beautiful green eyes and my long wavy brown hair. I've included some photos in case you're curious. I've been meaning to reach out for some time. She grows more and more curious as time goes on about you. I avoid the questions as much as I can. I chose to keep her a secret this long because I didn't want to get in the way of your dreams, I knew I wasn't destined for much but you weren't the same.