four

———————————————
Fear.
_______________________

Elias woke with a gasp, his heart pounding fiercely in his chest. The memory of his dream attached to his mind like leeches, leaving him breathless. His bed sheets felt like beetles biting his salty skin. He untangled his legs from his covers, before looking around the large empty room.

His feet were cold in the night air, but his face warmed as hot tears flowed down his cheeks.

Sobs wracked his body, and fear clutched his chest with its cadaverous claws, squeezing the air from his lungs. He could feel bees stinging his skin, and he felt his heartbeat enter his head as he leaned his back against the headboard and prayed for his mother. He didn't want to die in his bedroom alone.

An hour passed, breath found him eventually, and he wiped his tears away.

His hair clung damply to his forehead, and the sheets tangled with his legs like discarded yarn.

Swallowing hard, Elias swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stood on faltering knees. He ran a trembling hand through his hair, trying to shake off the feeling of dread that pulled on his shoulders. With determined steps, he made his way to his bathroom, the cool tiles soothing against his bare feet.

Turning on the shower, Elias let the hot water cascade over him, steam filling the air, and washing away what it could of the fear and the uncertainty. As the water pounded against his skin, he closed his eyes, willing himself to forget the haunting images that had plagued his sleep. Today, he resolved, he would face whatever challenges awaited with strength.

.