32 - fighting for nothing

NOAH

........................................
NOAH

Fox's confusion slashes through his haggard face, hands thrown up defensively as his back hits the hallway wall.

"Dude, what the fuck?"

"You tell me." My voice, a rough growl, filling the dimly lit hallway. "Your cousin and your fucking girlfriend got Camila drunk on wine and tore her the fuck apart."

Fox sobers up quicker than I thought possible. "What are you talking about? Paige and Maddie?"

"Yeah, them. Cam's a fucking mess because of whatever Paige told her. And Maddie—don't even get me started on Maddie." I can barely keep the venom from my tone. It's too raw, too fresh.

"Jesus, Noah, I didn't..." Fox falters, his eyes darting away. "Jed said something about Paige talking shit, but Maddie was pissed at me, man. For dancing with Cam, for being her fucking friend."

This doesn't surprise me; it's a confirmation of the goddamn toxicity I sensed brewing in Maddie long ago. "So, what? You're just gonna let it happen? What are you gonna do about it?"

Fox's anger rises to meet mine. "What the fuck do you want me to do, Noah? I went to talk to Maddie, and she lost it. She shoved me into the vanity mirror." He lifts his elbow, blood dripping from a cut. "She's thinks I'm choosing Camila over her."

"Maybe you should!" The words explode from me. "If Maddie can't see why someone would want to be Cam's friend without it being a goddamn threat, that's her problem."

Fox shakes his head, a mix of anger and hurt—a lot of fucking hurt—bleeding into his expression. "It's not that simple. I can't just... this is fucked."

We're both breathing hard, now. Fox looks as if he's on the verge of saying more when his gaze slips past me, presumably to door of our room.

"Is she okay?" His voice is softer now, concern edging out the anger.

I deflate slightly, my fists unclenching. "She's trying to sleep. Been crying for hours. Jed found her like that."

Fox's jaw clenches. He reaches up to grip his neck. Finally, he nods, a defeated slump to his shoulders. "I don't know what to do. She doesn't deserve any of this."

"No she doesn't." My agreement feels cold and hollow, knowing the damage has already been done. But even I know that this isn't Fox's fault. Not really.

If Maddie's a shit friend now, she probably always was. And Paige? Fuck, maybe that's on me. I should've seen this coming. I should've done something proactive, cut her the fuck off.

I drop my gaze, staring hard at my bare feet. "I'm sorry. I didn't..." I can't even figure out what to say.

There's a moment of silence, a ceasefire.