36 - the Bello family

NOAH

........................................
NOAH

Streaks of gold and orange float in the sky as the sun sets behind our house. Our backyard offers the perfect few, especially under this tree at the back fence.

Mabel's perched on my shoulders, plucking another crab apple from the tree. Maman at my side opens her apron pocket so Mabel can toss them in for collection. This batch is going into jars for pickling.

"Maman, we should start our own store." Mabel's voice is full of wonder at the prospect. I keep a steady hold on her ankles as she shifts to reach another apple, her hands careful not to drop any on my head—other than the four she already has.

"Mabel's Marvelous Market," Fox chimes in, earning a delighted squeal from Mabel. I glance over to where he's sitting with Azi, busy with bright Legos scattered across the grass.

Fox was supposed to be somewhere else this weekend, at his own home, maybe, but his mom canceled on him. Again. She mentioned something about a trip to Milan with Fox's dad. Fox was invited, but he never goes anywhere his dad's going to be. I don't press him on it; it's a touchy subject. Instead, last night after the coffee shop, I asked if he wanted to tag along with me. He jumped on it, saying something about how much he misses Maman's breakfasts, that I don't make them as good as she does.

Mabel's excitement bubbles above me, "I can't wait for Christmas! What should we dress up as this year, Maman?"

Maman taps her lips, a smile playing there. "Something pretty. An elf and her snow fairy?"

Mabel bounces on my shoulders at the suggestion. "Yes!"

A sudden shriek of laughter from Az cuts through the air. Fox's got him by the ankles, holding him upside down. A shower of Legos spills from Az's pockets, scattering across the grass.

"Arrête, Fox!" Maman snaps her dish towel in their direction. "Non! Non non non!"

Fox sheepishly lowers Azi to the ground. "Désolé, Jacky, je suis...how do you say you look as radiant as the setting sun, will you forgive me?"

Maman just shakes her head, her grin wide as she turns back to me with a flush on her pale cheeks. Fox winks at me when I glare at him for flirting with my mother—again.

Fox and I had a lot to chew on during that long stretch of road, our conversation skipping all small talk to delve right into Camila and Maddie. He likes Camila for me. And he likes Maddie for him, but I don't. Not that I said that, not when he was smiling so big.

Mable smacks my cheeks. "Walk."

I step forward so she can snap an apple from a low hanging branch.

Maman's gaze finds me, her light eyes always searching. "Et toi? How's school, la vie?"

I shift Mabel a little, trying to hide the smile that's threatening to break free. "There's a girl," I confess.

"A girl?" Mabel chirps, leaning in with wide-eyed curiosity. Maman echoes, "Une fille?" both more interested in my life than the bushel of crab apples.