38 - sorry, time to move on

—————————————C A M I L A

—————————————
C A M I L A

Did I think I'd be fired today? Nope.

Did I think I'd not be fired today? Uh, yeah.

What the fuck happened?

Noor's palm hits the wall and I flinch. "Are you fucking kidding me, Leo? You're gonna fire her? After all the shit Dylan's pulled?"

Jess is drained, like all the life has been sucked out of her. She leans against the wall, eyes closed, as if trying to keep the rest of her food down.

Leo shouts back, his face red with anger. "She assaulted a staff member!"

Noor laughs a harsh, bitter sound. "I'm not about to explain to your pea-fucking-brain the problem with that statement. We've all told you what he's like. You did nothing."

I sit down, sighing. Fired. I'm fired. The words echo in my mind, hollow and cold.

Noor rips off her red sweater and whips it into Leo's face. "That's my final straw, you misogynistic piece of fucking good-for-nothing shit. I quit."

"Noor, hold the fuck on—"

Jess, her voice barely a whisper, says, "Me too." She pulls off her cropped crewneck and drops it gently on the floor.

Leo punches the drywall, his fist leaving a dent. "Fine! Leave! All of you!"

Noor grabs my arm, pulling me up. "Come on, Delgado. We're done."

Jess takes my gym bag, slinging it over her shoulder.

We walk out together, leaving Leo standing there.

Noor's grip on my arm is firm. Goddamn, my head's still swimming. Jess walks beside us, her steps slow to match.

Noor squeezes my arm, a small smile playing on her lips. "You're coming with us to Skyfall."

I shake my head, the weight of the situation settling in. Fire Base is my life. My home. My real home where I came into the person I am right now.

Skyfall. The thought of it feels like a betrayal to Fire Base.

"Cam, you need a fresh start. Skyfall's a good place, my brother works there. Rock climbing, boxing, self-defence."

Jess nods in agreement. "You deserve better. I think you know that."

I hesitate, looking back at the black glass building. Fire Base has been everything to me—a place to grow, to push myself, to become stronger. "I can't just...leave."

Noor steps in front of me, her eyes fierce. "Delgado, listen to me. You're fired. it's over. Done. You need to move on."

Well fuck, can I not have two seconds?