35 - let's hash it out

NOAH

........................................
NOAH

There she is, dwarfed in a black hoodie engulfing her, and those are definitely my grey sweatpants on her legs, a bag over her shoulder.

Logic and reasoning, they're out the window the second our eyes meet. She smiles, lifting a hand, mouthing, Hey, you.

I'm walking over the next second, pulling her into my arms as she gasps a small laugh, holding her with an intensity that borders on desperate.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Here, in the middle of this coffee shop filled with the murmur of dozens of conversations and the scent of brewed coffee, none of that matters.

"Hey you," she whispers for real, burying her face into my neck, my jacket. "You look very nice, by the way. How was the seminar?"

"Thought you had work tonight," I mutter, not letting go.

"I do. In an hour. But I wanted to see you."

I'm acutely aware of her warmth, the way she fits perfectly against me. "Careful or you'll make me feel special."

She laughs a little. "You are, though."

"This is a coffee shop!" Fox jabs, laughing.

I let my girl go but can't resist taking her face gently in my hands. Our smiles mirror each other's, stretching wide across our faces in a little moment happiness.

Without thinking—because if I did, I might stop myself—I lean in and kiss her. It's soft, a barely-there steal of her bottom lip with mine. Her warmth, her sweetness, her. Then I pull back. Her dark pretty eyes wide, breaths coming in soft, quick hitches.

I take her hand and guide her to our booth, sliding in first, pulling her to sit beside me. She does, but she's stunned, her gaze fixed on the table.

Jed bursts into a cackle "The gravitational pull of young love—unmatched, undeniable, and utterly inappropriate."

Cam puffs out a breathy laugh, biting her lip at Jed. "Sorry."

"Not sorry," I say, though the guys don't care.

Cam's hand squeezes mine under the table. She brings it to rest on her thigh, keeping it.

Thanks to Fox, the three of them fall into easier chatter, talking about classes, exams, and work, somehow keeping it perfectly light. Cam's presence gives me a sense of peace I haven't felt since the call last night.

Jed orders a scone. Fox gets espresso, and soon he's twitching, nodding a lot, and smiling. Cam doesn't eat or drink, and for whatever reason, I know it's because I can't, not with the allergy. I mutter, "Eat," when she glances at me, so she purses her lips and pulls a protein bar from her bag. It's a nut-free—she shows me, grinning. I have half a mind to hope that because she thinks we'll kiss again and maybe she doesn't want me to go into anaphylactic shock.