08.

a/n: tw attempted suicide

Wonwoo kept his feelings in check until he reached the privacy of his sitting room. Even then, he refused to let his threatening tears come out. Old habits of hiding his fear and embarrassment had served him well as Mingyu had led him back to the stables and then ordered him to go to his room—as if Wonwoo were a child. He'd refused to let others see how hurt and angry he felt. His pride might not be worth much, but it was all he had, notwithstanding the enormous wealth that he could lay claim to. And no amount of money in the world would save him from his husband's wrath, regardless.

Wonwoo knew how the rest of the day would play out. Mingyu would let him wait a long time for his punishment to allow the fear and uncertainty to grow. And what would it be, his hand or a belt? Wonwoo was well used to both, and he knew that whatever Mingyu did, it would be hidden from others. Jaekyung and Jiseok hadn't cared if people saw their handiwork, but the more civilized Morcondians likely wanted the violence hidden. Wonwoo would be forced to spend the evening pretending he wasn't in pain. Well, he could do that for the sake of his own pride. It had been his life for a long time.

Wonwoo paced his sitting room, holding himself together. Chan hovered nearby, having said nothing on the journey back. The poor groomer looked miserable as if he were somehow to blame. And maybe Mingyu saw it that way, too. Wonwoo could only hope that Mingyu wouldn't mete out punishment for Chan as well. Wonwoo had been so enamored of Wind Chaser that nothing Chan could have said would have dissuaded him from riding the gelding. Guilt ate at him because he knew he was powerless to protect the boy.

"I'm sorry, Your Grace." Chan's voice was shaking. "I should have known better."

Wonwoo stopped and faced him. "This is not your fault. I picked the horse and the ride."

The boy wrung his hands. "But I knew something that you didn't." He swallowed visibly and his eyes shined with unshed tears. "The duke's first wife, Duchess Junghwa, died when her horse stumbled on a gallop. It crushed her when they fell."

Wonwoo froze at the news, opening his mouth, then shutting it again when he realized he didn't know what to say. His mind conjured up Mingyu's expression when he'd ridden up. Had that been fury or fear in his face? Wonwoo had been going very fast, something he was comfortable doing, but what had Mingyu seen—an out-of-control horse, perhaps? It had to have conjured up horrible memories of his first wife's death. Wonwoo didn't have long to ponder the situation further. His door flung open, and Mingyu strode in.

The man flicked his gaze at Chan. "Get out."

Flashing Wonwoo a sympathetic look, the boy hurried to do as he'd been told, shutting the door behind him. Wonwoo took a step forward to tell Mingyu he was sorry if he'd scared him, even though he worried that it might be an insulting misinterpretation of what had happened. He didn't get the chance. Mingyu was on him in the next second, reaching for his face. Wonwoo couldn't help flinching, surprised that his husband was going to inflict visible damage.

But there was no blow. Instead, Mingyu pulled him in for a bruising kiss that nevertheless sparked a response in Wonwoo's own body. The next thing he knew, he was bent over the back of one of the beautiful, silk sofas, Mingyu shoving his tunic up his back. The man had the laces of Wonwoo's trousers undone in the next instant, exposing his ass. There was a spitting sound, then a wet finger breached his hole. He made himself relax because he knew what was coming. Mingyu's cock was forced into Wonwoo with burning speed. That pain faded with each thrust, and it ended quickly with Mingyu shouting out his release. Wonwoo's came right on its heel. He held on to the sofa with clenched fingers as his orgasm shuddered through him.

For long seconds, there was nothing except their harsh breathing. Mingyu was still embedded in him, and he gripped Wonwoo's hips sufficiently hard to leave marks. When it became clear that Mingyu was in no hurry to say or do anything more, Wonwoo couldn't help himself. Looking over his shoulder, he asked, "Do you feel better now?"