04.

Mingyu watched as his bride moved around the sitting room, peering at each piece of furniture and accent piece. The awe and appreciation in the boy's expression were delightful to see. It helped dull the ache lodged in Mingyu's chest over being in Junghwa's private space, something he'd avoided since her death.

Wonwoo ran his fingers along the back of one chair. "This is silk, is it not?"

Somewhat surprised that a Marsher would recognize the fabric, Mingyu said, "Yes."

A wistful look crossed his bride's face. "My mother bought a piece of it off a tinker once. She used half of it for a burial shroud for my grandmother. She had wanted to use the rest for her own, but my father sold it."

Asshole! The more he heard about Jaekyung, the happier he was to have taken Wonwoo away from the fucker's control. "As I said, you can redecorate this however you want. Silk is plentiful here."

Wonwoo looked over at him. "But no less expensive, I should wonder. It would be wasteful to change what is already so beautiful."

"My dear, I realize we haven't had much chance to talk. I am a very wealthy man, and what is mine is now yours. You could redo this room a hundred times, using the best materials, and it would barely make a dent in my coffers."

Wonwoo moved on to gaze at the various pretty objects sitting on a shelf. "I assumed you were rich, given that you are a Morcondian prince. I would not presume, however, to have the right to spend your money as I wish."

Mingyu's new duchess really was a sweet, little thing. Using endearments with him tripped naturally off his tongue. Now that he was home, it was getting even easier to accept the fact that he was married to another male, surprisingly so. Perhaps the way things had worked out was a blessing. Having another woman rummage through Junghwa's possessions would have been harder, now that he thought about it.

"Presume away. My daughters certainly do. All except Saerom," he amended. "She has her own substantial wealth."

Wonwoo paused and pursed his lips. "Why does she have titles other than princess?"

"Windham is the duchy she inherited from her mother. Kenworth is my lessor title and given as a courtesy to the heir."

"I see. Everything is so complicated here. In the Marshlands, there is a chief, then everyone else. Even my older brother has no title of his own."

Mingyu scratched at the back of his neck. "I hadn't thought of my people in those terms, but we do have a complex hierarchy, now that you mention it. I suppose it takes an outsider to highlight the things we take for granted."

Wonwoo moved to run his fingers along the heavy drapes. "This material is so soft. I think I saw people dressed in it on our journey through the palace."

"Indeed. It is velvet, very popular for clothing."

Wonwoo turned to look at him once more. "Is it hard for you to be here? In this room, I mean."

The question stunned Mingyu for a moment. His new wife was surprisingly perceptive... and compassionate, given his expression. Mingyu considered brushing it off, but the truth came tumbling out anyway. "Yes, actually." He stared at his own toes for a moment. "I haven't been in here since she died."

"How long ago was that?"

"Nearly five years." The pain of it stabbed him fresh, although not quite as sharp as it once had been. "Junghwa died the spring after both my parents succumbed to the avian plague."

"Oh." Wonwoo looked away and blinked hard a few times. "I'm sorry. I lost my mother to that, as well."

Mingyu did the math. "You must have been very young." He almost dreaded the answer, having not had time to consider how old his bride was. Morcondian law said one must be at least sixteen to wed, although few actually did so at that tender age. What was the Marsher custom?