Talking

Reminder: Pray.

Note: There are a few vernacular words and phrases used in this chapter. Refer to the end of the chapter to read their meanings.

Author's PoV:

“Bhaag gyi?” Ayan frowned at nobody in the empty living room, “Did I offend her or something?” He scratched his head and began to wonder but then remembered that he had to talk to Hamdan.

Saying Bismillah, he knocked on the door and entered after being permitted to do so.

“Sit here,” Khadija offered a wooden chair to Ayan which he modestly took and seated himself on it. He was face to face with Hamdan, his former teacher and his would be (hopefully) father in law.

Oh how much he wished for that to happen!

“So what do you do for a living?”

Ayan took a deep breath. Be confident and be honest, he told himself.

“I am the overseas sales manager of the MNC, Tech Invents. I recently returned from New York after staying staying there for ten months. I plan to work here for a year or two and then I'll start a start-up of my own, Insha Allah.” Ayan tried to read the body language of Hamdan but failed in deciphering it.

Hamdan sat with his back against the headboard of his bed, examining Ayan's face and his posture that gave away the latter's nervousness. His words had come out rushed but sounded truthful anyway.

“What about your religion?” Hamdan questioned, “do you pray regularly?”

“I do,” Ayan replied, “it's the least I can as a Muslim. Apart from the month of Ramadan, I try to fast sometimes on Mondays and Thursdays.”

“Hmm,” turning to Khadija, Hamdan asked her if she had any queries of her own.

“Have you talked to your mother?” She inquired to which the young man shook his head in negative.

“Ahan Bhai knows, I think, and I will tell the rest of my family about Feiha tonight, if you permit,” Ayan said with a bit of hope in his eyes.

Hamdan and Khadija noticed the brightness in Ayan's eyes, and the softness in his tone when he took their daughter’s name. They had been experienced enough to know that such an emotion, such a glint couldn't be faked.

Ayan was serious about Feiha.

“Will you tell her about Feiha's Anemia and the effect it has had on her health?” Hamdan was curious to know this one answer, in truth, afraid of being disappointed with it.

Ayan took a moment to straighten his back as he looked at his hands before speaking, “I will. She is my mother and she deserves to know this.”

“What if she refuses to give you her blessings?” Hamdan knew that he was being negative but he couldn't help it. He had to find out the answer to that question to ensure Feiha's happiness.

“Then I will persuade her,” Ayan responded without blinking, “I'm one hundred percent sure that my mother will become fond of Feiha after getting to know her.” Just like I have, Ayan thought and suppressed a dreamy smile.

The couple looked at each other, already aware that they had come to a mutual decision.

Hamdan regarded Ayan for one last time. “Very well,” he nodded, “I believe you, boy. I should like to meet your family after you have talked to them.”

“Is that a yes?” Ayan stood up abruptly, taking Hamdan by surprise. Khadija hid a grin as she nodded. Without giving it a second thought, Ayan engulfed Hamdan in a bear hug, making Khadija laugh in astonishment.