09. Reality

"What does it mean to be an adventurer to you?"

"Well, I believe it's as you said—a life-risking battle, sharing the spoils with companions, and never forgetting the celebrations at the guild!"

"Well said! So, you must have the application fee ready?"

"Yes!"

The scarred man's enthusiastic demeanor suddenly turned calm and steady.

"We are a team that risks our lives. We devote ourselves to adventures, for the sake of the villagers and this resource-scarce world. To a young girl like you, we must seem like heroes, right?"

"Yes, to me, you are all heroes!"

"Haha, many people think like you do. Many admire adventurers and wish to join us. But because of this, we are often troubled. To filter out those who just want the 'hero' title without the courage, we need certain measures. I hope you understand."

Mihua nodded vigorously in agreement but then fell into confusion.

"This fee you mentioned earlier, I have no objections. It's for filtering, right?"

"Of course. We don't look at talent or current strength. We look for one thing only."

"What is it?"

"An unyielding, iron will!"

The passionate words echoed through the hall, prompting many adventurers to raise their glasses with bright smiles, shouting "To the iron will!" before downing their drinks in one go.

"Do you still want to take the test?"

"I want to take your test!"

"Haha, no problem. Please pay five silver coins."

"Eh? That expensive?"

"As I said, we need to filter candidates. Many strange people want to use our name, so we need to test them, which requires a fee. But rest assured, if we accept you, your gains will far exceed the five silver coins."

To confirm this, the scarred man deliberately shook a bag of gold coins on the table.

Listening to the scarred man's words, Mihua fell silent for several seconds.

"I..."

After half a minute of silence, Mihua finally released her tightly clenched hand.

"You seem to have exactly five silver coins, right?"

"Ugh!"

"Well, do you want to take the test?"

"But this money..."

"I understand your difficulties. Many adventurers have various burdens. But this is an opportunity cost. You must judge for yourself. I cannot interfere. I can only tell you that being an adventurer is a path of sacrifice and hardship. Without determination, it's hard to continue."

"Determination..."

"Yes, determination."

Looking at the scarred man's sincere expression, Mihua glanced at the five silver coins in her hand, then at the bag of gold coins.

"I don't want to lose."

Whispering to herself to encourage the next step, she extended her hand with the silver coins.

Straightening her arm, her eyes fixed on the five silver coins, she bit her lip.

Gently, she loosened her fingers.

Clink, clink, clink.

Hearing the crisp sound of coins hitting the table, Mihua instinctively closed her eyes, not daring to face her decision.