a gift from the moon

ALBERTO'S POV

TUESDAY EVENING

Luca is leaning on my left side, resting his head on my shoulder. I think I've been blushing for the past 20 minutes..? I'm not sure.. 

We're just admiring the sunset. The dimming sky has different shades of violets, blues, pinks, reds, and yellows. It looks really beautiful..

But not as beautiful as Luca.

The sky is starting to fade into a deep purple and I think I can see some of the fish in the sky appearing. Luca says they're called "stars", but I don't believe that. Maybe Giulia is gaslighting him.. but she wouldn't do that. At least I hope not.

But anyways, they're fish.

I can sense Luca's breathing pattern, so I try my best to follow it, so we're in sync. It feels extremely awkward.

"The sky looks pretty, doesn't it?" Luca asks.

"Mhmm," I start. "Not as pretty as-" I cut myself off. Oh Dio. I'm glad I stopped before I said something stupid.

"Huh? What was that?"

Oh Dio.

"N-nothing!" I stutter.

"It sounds like you said something, Alberto," Luca giggles.

My face turns a deeper shade of red as he has his fun.

"I-I said nothing!" I say.

"Alright then," Luca replies. He doesn't seem to believe me, but at least he won't figure out what I almost said.

I take a deep breath and continue to look at the sky.

"So, what have you been up to while I was at school?" Luca asks.

"Uhm, not too much," I start. "Fishing, drawing, taking care of the kittens, writing you letters, missing you.."

Luca's face turns a bright shade of red at the last part.

I laugh at his facial expression, only to watch the red in his face deepen. Maybe he is just flattered that I think about him? It's not like he has a crush on me or anything. We both like boys, but I'm sure that means nothing.

He sees me as a friend and nothing more.

"I missed you too.." Luca whispers. He smiles slightly but doesn't look at me. 

"I'm gonna head inside for a few minutes, do you want anything?" Luca sighs.

"No grazie."

Luca nods softly and gets up. He walks over to the tree branch that lead to Giulia's bedroom and then falls through the window.

Is he okay?!

"Heheh.. slipped."

I chuckle at his awkward reaction to himself and I turn back to look at the cloudy sky. The puffy clouds are gray, almost a dark gray. It might rain, but I never heard anything about the weather today.

A few minutes later, Luca walks back out with one of Machiavelli's kittens, Luna. She is black with some white on her stomach and the end of her tail.

I gasp loudly as I see the cat. SHE'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!

"Awwh, Luna is so cute!" Luca exclaims.

He sits next to me and cuddles her. I wish he could cuddle me like that..

"Oh! I almost forgot," Luca starts. He carefully sets Luna on my lap and searches his pocket.

He offers me a pearl.