Chapter 12: Undeniable Ties

Bradley stretched out on the sunlit grass, feeling the warmth seep through his clothes and into his bones. Laughter echoed around him, and he couldn't help but smile at the easy camaraderie he had found with his new group of friends. Max had been instrumental in bringing him into this circle, and now, Roxanne, Bobby, PJ, Tank, Max, and Bradley were a close-knit crew.

They were at their usual spot in the park, a secluded area surrounded by trees that offered a sense of privacy. Roxanne and PJ were arguing about which movie to watch for their next group night, while Tank and Bobby were engaged in an intense game of frisbee. Max sat beside Bradley, the book that Bradley brought with him was in his hands, though he seemed more interested in the conversation around him.

Bradley glanced over at Max, grateful for the friend who had stood by him through thick and thin. Despite their past misunderstandings, they had managed to mend their relationship, and things were better than ever. Yet, even in these moments of happiness, there was a persistent nagging in the back of his mind. Something unresolved, lurking just beneath the surface.

As the sun began to dip lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the park, Bradley's phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out, seeing his mother's name flash on the screen. A sense of dread washed over him as he answered the call.

"Hello?" he said, trying to keep his voice neutral.

"Bradley, it's your mother," came the familiar, clipped tone. "Spring break is next week, and your father and I expect you to come home. It's been too long since you visited."

Bradley closed his eyes, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. "Mom, I have plans with friends. I don't think I can make it."

"This isn't a request, Bradley," she said, her voice firm. "You're coming home. Your father and I have already made the arrangements."

He knew there was no point in arguing. His parents had always been more about duty and obligation than love and understanding. They expected him to fall in line, to fulfill his role as their son without question. And while he had always complied, it had never sat well with him. He felt more like an accessory to their lives than a valued member of the family.

"Fine, I'll come home," he said, the resignation evident in his voice.

"Good. We'll see you on Friday," she replied before hanging up.

Bradley stared at his phone, feeling a mix of frustration and resignation. The thought of spending spring break at his parents' house filled him with dread. He had worked so hard to build a new life for himself, to find happiness and independence, and now he felt like he was being dragged back into a past he wanted to leave behind.

Max noticed the shift in Bradley's demeanor. "Everything okay?" he asked, closing his book.

Bradley sighed, shaking his head. "Not really. My mom just called. I have to go home for spring break. They're not giving me a choice."

Max frowned. "I'm sorry, man. I know how tough it is for you there."

Bradley nodded, feeling the weight of his family's expectations pressing down on him. "Yeah, it's not exactly the vacation I had in mind. But it's something I have to deal with. Alone."

Max's expression softened. "If you need anything, you know we're here for you."

Bradley managed a small smile. "Thanks, Max. But when it comes to my family, it's something I have to handle myself."

The next few days passed in a blur of work and last-minute plans with his friends. Bradley tried to push aside his apprehension, focusing instead on enjoying the time he had before he had to leave. But as Friday approached, the feeling became impossible to ignore. The shadow at the back of his mind grew darker, heavier.