Chapter Two

Note: Ibryl and Ilis are characters mentioned in this book. They are new characters I am editing into my first book, so most likely, you won't understand any references with them in it.

Kenneth's fingers traced over the designs carved into the wooden handle of the dagger given to him by Mr. Munroe, but his eyes drifted elsewhere.

One year ago, he had sat at the dining room table, struggling to finish his homework. Earlier in the day, he had finished yard work at a neighbor's house, ready to do it all again the next week. That morning, he had left his younger brothers at the bus stop for school, expecting to do the same the next day.

    Now, he was packing his bag to return to work in another universe, to be surrounded by magic-wielding people, to avoid anyone who might recognize him as the kid who exploded himself and then killed Xexile—the dark lord for thousands of years up till eight months ago.

    Kenneth connected the dagger to his belt, eyes glazed. Not usually depressed—he only missed the simpler days.

Kenneth hurled his bag over his shoulder, and he left the bedroom. He nearly walked into Halo who stood right outside the door. "You know you could've entered if you wanted," he said. "It's your room."

    Halo frowned. "You were gone for six months, and now you're leaving again only a day later," she said, voice low.

    Kenneth shifted his weight, a prick of guilt. "I'll visit in...a month or so. October if we don't use the Marmian calendar."

    Halo crossed her arms. "Is there no way to visit often? Surely you can find a way..."

    Kenneth opened his mouth to speak, but just then Kenaly entered the hall. "We'll miss you," she said, hugging Kenneth lightly. "Visit soon."
    "I will," Kenneth said, unable to refrain from smiling. Mrs. Munroe had that warm effect of always making one feel loved. But his heart ached as well; he admittedly didn't want to leave. The Munroe family would always be superior to working across universes with Venenarius. Marmo was only a teleportation away, but it proved difficult enough to even get one day off of work.

    Kenneth slipped his universe ring on, and when the Munroes weren't looking, he kissed Halo before teleporting—another thing he had missed in the past months.

    Hundreds of footsteps echoed on the concrete in the large enclosed space. Light spells glowed out of a few groups of people, and the aroma of too many scents mingling stuffed Kenneth's sinuses. Ah yes, rehoming refugees. Of course, Kenneth probably wouldn't be involved—even though rehoming refugees was the sole reason why he started working.

    Kenneth stopped by his room to drop off his bag. Thiago shared the room—a nine-teen-year-old guy who was somehow more moody and anti-social than Kenneth was. Kenneth had tried becoming the extrovert and striking conversation, but the interactions proved less than meaningful, so they were no more than acquaintances.

    He preferred the roommate he had for the first couple of weeks he worked—Ibryl. A talkative and empathetic boy of his age, who he had previously fought in battle with once. Kenneth wasn't exactly sure if they were close friends or not, but they got along well. Kenneth did know he enjoyed witnessing the banter between Ibryl and his twin sister, Ilys. Unfortunately, Kenneth hadn't seen either of them in months.

    In the main complex on a back wall hung a few screens where employees would log in, so Eborj would be informed of who was at work. Kenneth wasn't exactly sure who decided who worked where, but after logging in, the screen would display a schedule alongside details, such as universe coordinates or instructions, and further information.

Kenneth was approaching a screen when four strong hands gripped his arms, he released an embarrassing yelp of fear. He jerked his head when trying to pull away turned futile.