The Recovery

Continuation of "I Heard You" saga

Travis' POV

My recovery from the accident was slow. I spent another week in the ICU, then another 2 weeks in regular hospital. The pain was terrible at times, I felt constantly weak, not able to catch my breath. When I left the ICU, the doctors assured me that I was going to recover fully, but it would take time. I would need rehabilitation and physical therapy to get me back to 100%.

"Will I be able to play football this season?" I ask earnestly to the doctor. Taylor sat on the edge of the hospital bed next to me, reaching out to take my hand as I asked the question. The doctor looked up at both of us from the chart he was reviewing.

"It really depends on you and your body. Looks like you have been walking around a fair amount which is a good sign but says here you are still in pain when you twist. And you lung function isn't at 100% yet." The doctor takes a deep breath, closing the file in front of him. "Getting you back to 100% function for everyday living will take a couple of weeks...maybe 2 months. You are recovering quickly, you were in great shape before the accident, so I have no concerns..."

"But..." I asked, encouraging the doctor to continue. Taylor squeezed my hand three times, trying to reassure me.

"But...getting you back to the athleticism you need to play at your level...being confident to take the physical hits you take...may take a lot longer." The doctor speaks plainly. "The Chiefs sports medicine department has already called me to start setting up a treatment schedule for you, just for that reason. But you shouldn't push yourself too hard until you have completely healed. That's at least 6 weeks from today."

I nodded, looking at Taylor. Her smile was so bittersweet. She knew she would have to leave me to return to the finish out the Eras tour before I was fully recovered...forget about playing condition. So much for a three-peat I thought ruefully.

"The good news is we can definitely get you discharged today. Recovering at home is a lot more pleasant than this place." The thought of going home sounded wonderful.

The first week I was in the hospital had been awful. I had been in so much pain when I first woke up, they would give me morphine a few times which made me super high. I was told I was convinced I was a rap artist, and I was singing in the bed, which Taylor told me was a mash-up of her songs "Karma" and "Look What You Made Me Do." Jason recorded me at some point which I laughed hard watching.

Recording:

"Karma is gonna track.... you down.... step by step..." mumbling, my arms come up doing some wavy movement. Taylor giggles and reaches out to take my hands to keep me from moving too much. "Karma is the guy on the Chiefs.... comin straight home to me..."

"Baby, babe...please be careful, you're going to hurt yourself." Taylor smiles at me and I smile back at her, my eyes glazed over, pupils wide.

"Baby? Am I your baby?" I whisper, Taylor smiles and nods. I continue "You're really sexy. Come 'ere and let me..." I start to get all handsy with Taylor who deftly evades my flaying hands.

"Oh no you don't." But my arms managed to grasp Taylor's waist, holding her. Taylor gives up and just stands there looking at my starry-eyed look.

"Hey...wait a minute...I know you...you are that sexy girl with the long legs... I remember now...I love it when I get my face in between those long..." Taylor puts a hand over my mouth to stop me. Jason starts to bellow in laughter. My hands start to move toward Taylor's ass, Taylor leans over me smirking.

"Oooh...look what you made me do.... look what you made me do...." I sing off key as I grab Taylor's butt and pull her closer.

"Travis, you're going to hurt yourself." Taylor states more sternly. I chuckle, "I'd gladly hurt myself for you baby girl."