Purpose

The next two days after the park incident with Jax seemed to drag by

The next two days after the park incident with Jax seemed to drag by. With me living and working at TM, we saw each other in passing, but neither of us spoke. All I did was think about Jax, the whole two days, despite trying everything to get him off my mind. From hanging out with Renae, Tyree, and Jess outside of the clubhouse, to journaling, but nothing helped.

Every time I looked at Tyree, I thought about Jax because he was the reason why Jax was upset, and every time I tried to write, it just ended up being about Jax. I couldn't even look at Jess, because of how much she favored her big brother, so everything just seemed like a lost cause. No matter what I did to occupy my mind, my thoughts never failed to drift back to Jax, and I wondered if he felt the same.

Fast forward to today. Graduation day. It was supposed to be a day of celebration, but still, my mind was on him. As I sat in the middle of the Charming High auditorium with my classmates, waiting for the ceremony to begin, I scanned the crowd for familiar faces. The corners of my mouth pulling into a small smile, as I spotted mama, Tyree, and Renae, sitting maybe six rows up from Gemma, Clay, Chibs, Tig, Happy, Bobby and Juice. Hell, even Eli was around here somewhere, as he and a handful of other sheriffs were hired by the school to provide security. But Jax was nowhere to be found, not even in support of his own sister.

The ceremony lasted for hours. The speeches, the calling of names, the walks across the stage. It all seemed to take forever, and when my name was finally called, I stood up, my heart pounding with anxiety, as I heard my family and friends cheering for me from up top. I accepted my diploma with a sense of accomplishment and pride, as I was eager to take the next step in my adult life.

After the ceremony, we all met outside. It was just after 4pm. The afternoon sun was shining, and the hot Charming air was filled with the sounds of laughter and conversations from other families. Tyree approached me with a bouquet of vibrant flowers, and I met him with a look of surprise on my face.

"For me?" I asked, and he nodded, with a smile, as he handed me the bouquet, and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Congrats, Elise!" He murmured softly in my ear. His lips slightly brushing my earlobe as we pulled apart.

"Aww! Thanks, Tyree!" I replied, feeling a rush of gratitude. We all gathered for pictures, and everyone was beaming proudly from ear to ear. I forced myself to smile, as I struggled to push the thought of Jax's absence to the back of my mind.

Just as we were about to take another group photo, the low, powerful rumble of an engine filled our ears, and we all turned to see an all black 2011 Camaro with a soft top, and a big red bow on the hood, pulling into the parking lot. The windows were tinted, so we couldn't see who was inside until, they came to a stop, and got out. My eyes widened when I saw Jax step out.

"Jax?" I whispered, not quite believing my eyes.

He scoured the crowd, and when his eyes landed on me, he started to walk toward me. "Hey, sweet cheeks" he said, his voice low, yet full of enthusiasm.