XI. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦

𝐕𝐈𝐀 𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄

The painful sound of karaoke was muffled by the bathroom door. The team had retreated back to Laughy's, to celebrate our victory against Harumi and the rest of the Sons of Garamadon. Everyone was relaxed and having the time of their life-- even Misako got in front of the microphone a few times.

But I just couldn't shake the funny feeling in my chest.

I twisted the deadbolt on the doorknob, locking myself in the small bathroom. Clearly, Darreth didn't hire very good cleaners, as there was a very pungent smell. I laid down a few layers of paper towels on the floor, before I crossed my legs and settled in a meditative position. Taking a deep breath, I let my eyes flutter shut, and I felt the familiar falling feeling.

When I opened my eyes, I was outside of that farmhouse again. My footsteps creaked on the old floorboards of the deck, teasing at the idea of giving way beneath my weight. The familiar landscape-- a luscious field of wheat, an everlasting sunset of pink, yellow and purple, and the sound of a waterfall-- was replaced. Instead, the wheat was still. It no longer danced in the wind, giving life to the surrounding area. The cloud was dark-- a dreary gray with clouds that didn't move, only bringing shadows and darkness. The sound of the waterfall was gone. There was an eerie silence, as all I could hear was the creaking of the deck.

I wandered down the splintered steps of the white farmhouse, brushing my hands across a stalk of wheat. It fell apart at the touch.

"Not in the mood for a party?" said a familiar voice. A figure of white light, with hair tied back in an elaborate bun at the top of her head, and a long silver dress with silver accents. Her face was a blank void of white, only a silhouette of slender features.

I frowned at the remnants of the wheat-- a pile of what once was. "I can't stand the thought of celebrating. I have an awful feeling."

"I can tell." Oneria's blank face turned to survey the landscape. Right. The Dream Realm reflected my feelings. She hummed softly, wringing her hands together in front of her in an elegant manner. "Your boy is wondering where you are, by the way. His eyes are scanning the bar like he's lost some valuable treasure in an endless sea."

I felt my heart thunder in my chest a few times. The clouds in the sky filtered away, and the air grew lighter. I tried not to laugh at myself. It was comedic how much just the thought of him thinking about me made my mood so much better.

I shook my head a little, trying to shake away the vision of his worried gaze.

"I want your help."

If Oneria had eyebrows, I imagined she'd be raising one of them. "How can I be of service, Little One?"