Escaping knock-off Elsa

MAISIE WAS SCARED

MAISIE WAS SCARED.

Everybody looked ready to pounce on them. Maisie was a second away from summoning her axe. Jason felt the same, since his hand drifted to his pocket, where his coin sat.

The movement seemed to catch Boreas's eye. "What's that on your arm demigod?" He asked to Jason.

Reluctantly, Jason moved his forearms to show his strange tattoo-ish markings. Maisie had never seen anything like it before.

Boreas widened his eyes before laughing loudly, Khione hissed and took a step back.

The gods form began to flicker, he grew taller and thinner, and his clothes changed to a purple Roman toga. His head crowned in a frosty laurel wreath, and he held a gladius on his side.

"Aquilon," Jason said.

Maisie wondered why had Jason used his Roman name.

"You recognize me better in this form," Boreas— or I guess Aquilon now— said. "Correct? And you say you're from camp half-blood?"

"Uh ... yes. Your majesty." Jason responded.

"And Hera sent you there..." he stroked his beard in thought. "I understand now. She plays a dangerous game. Bold, but dangerous! No wonder Olympus is closed!"

"Jason," Piper began. "Why did he change?"

"It's his Roman form," Jason answered. "But what's going on— I don't know."

The god laughed. "I'm sure you don't. This will be very interesting to watch."

"Does that mean we can go?" Piper asked.

"My dear, I have no reason to kill you. If Hera's plan fails, which I think it will, you will tear each other apart. Aeolus won't have to worry about demigods again."

"I don't suppose you could explain?" Jason asked.

"Oh, perish the thought! It's not for me to interfere. No wonder she took your memory." He chucked. "You know, I have a reputation as a helpful wind god. Unlike my brethren, I've been known to fall for mortals. Why, Zethes and Calais started as demigods—"

"Which is why they're idiots," Khione growled.

"Stop it!" Zethes snapped back. "Just because you were born full goddess—"

"Freeze, both of you." Boreas said. And they both did. "Now as I was saying, it's rare for Boreas to play an important role in the affairs of gods. Why, even that fool, Notus, the South Wind, gets spring break in Cancún. What do I get? A festival with naked Québécois rolling around in the snow."

"I like the festival," Zethes muttered.

"My point," Boreas snapped. "Is that I have a chance to be the center. Oh, yes, I'll let you go on the quest. You'll find your storm spirits in the Windy City, of course. Chicago—"

"Father!" Khione protested.

He ignored her. "If you capture the winds, you may be able to gain safe entrance to Aeolus's court. If you survive, make sure to mention you caught them on my orders."

"Okay, sure," Jason said. "So in Chicago, we will find the lady controlling the winds? She's the one who trapped Hera?"

"Ah," Boreas grinned. "Those are two different questions, son of Jupiter."

Maisie noticed he said Jupiter in place of Zeus this time.

"She is only a servant— who is likely to destroy you. If you succeed, take the winds to Aeolus. If anyone can tell you where she is imprisoned, it's Aeolus."

"Father," Khione protested. "You can't possibly—"

"I do what I like. I am the master here."

"As you wish father." Khione replied through gritted teeth.

"Now go, demigods. Before I change my mind. Zethes , escort them out safely."

They all bowed, and the god dissolved into mist.

Back in the entry hall, Cal and Leo were waiting for them. Leo looked cold and unharmed. He had gotten cleaned up, and his clothes were newly washed, like he got the hotel's valet service. Festus was back to normal, snorting fire all over his scales to keep himself defrosted.

As Khione led them down the stairs, Leo's eyes bounced between her and Maisie, almost unsure who to look at.

At the bottom step, Khione turned to Piper. "You have fooled my father, girl. But you have not fooled me. We are not done. And you, Jason Grace, I will see you as a statue in the throne room soon enough."

"Boreas is right," Jason began. "You're just a spoiled kid. See you around, ice princess."

Her eyes flashed pure white. She stormed back up the stairs, turning into a blizzard halfway.

"Be careful," Zethes warned. "She never forgets an insult."

"Bad sister," Cal agreed.

"She's the goddess of snow," Jason said. "What's she going to do? Throw snowballs at us?"

Leo looked devastated. "What happened up there? You guys made her mad? Is she mad at me too? Guys, that was my prom date!"

"We'll explain later," Piper promised and Jason agreed.

"Be careful, pretty girls," Zethes warned. "The winds between here and Chicago are bad tempered. I am sorry you both will not be staying. You would both make lovely ice statues, in which I could check my reflection."

"Thanks," Piper said. "But we'd sooner play hockey with Cal."

"Hockey?" Cal's eyes lit up.

"Joking," Piper said. "And the storm winds aren't our worst problem, are they?"

"Oh, no," Zethes agreed. "Something else. Something worse."

"Worse," Cal echoed.

"Can you tell me?" Piper gave them a smile.

This time the charm didn't work. The purple-winged Boreads shook their head in unison. The hanger doors opened into a freezing starry night, and Festus stomped his feet, eager to fly.

"Ask Aeolus what is worse," Zethes said darkly. "He knows."

He almost sounded like he cared about what happened to them, even though he wanted to make Piper and Maisie into ice sculptures not even two minutes ago.

Cal patted Leo on the shoulder. "Don't get destroyed," he said. Which may have been the longest sentence he's spoken so far. "Next time— Hockey. Pizza."

"Come on guys." Jason stared out at the dark. He was anxious to get out of that cold penthouse, he had a feeling it was the most hospitable place they'd see for a while. "Let's go to Chicago and try to not get destroyed."

Unedited
7/8/24
1023 words