31. The July Newsletter (Paul)

Carnival of Light (Part 2)

31.

JULY NEWSLETTER

DEAR BEATLE PEOPLE...

It's good to have all four Beatles back in the country and it's better still to know they are back in the studio making recordings this month. From the current sessions we can expect not just a new single but the makings of a whole new LP! Now that all four are back in London, The Beatles will more or less be in the studio constantly until the middle of August.

Most of the songs were written by John and Paul while they were in India, but this time Ringo has taken a crack at composing too! One of the first new numbers the boys tackled in the studio was Ringo's country-western piece, which has the working title "This Is Some Friendly", though that could certainly change before the record is ready for release.

BEATLE BITS...

GEORGE and PATTIE travelled with RINGO and MAUREEN to California last month, where GEORGE took part in Ravi Shankar's film while RINGO addressed the Apple Shareholders in Los Angeles...  The two Beatles returned to London and immediately went into the studio to record a new single for JACKIE LOMAX, produced by GEORGE with RINGO on drums, PAUL on bass and Beatle Pal ERIC CLAPTON on guitar.

PAUL and BEATRIX returned from their honeymoon in the South of France looking very tanned... They then went up to their farm in Scotland before coming home to London so PAUL could record his bits for the new Jackie Lomax track... Read our interview with BEATRIX on page 16 where she tells us about her typewriter and what PAUL likes for dinner.

Because of their travel plans, the other Beatles and their wives were unable to attend the premiere of JOHN's play In His Own Writ at the Old Vic theatre... JOHN's personal guest was Japanese filmmaker and painter YOKO ONO, who gifted JOHN a splendidly made Perspex pedestal with a three-year old gnarled apple on top!... This JOHN has put on display in a place of honour at the new Apple Headquarters office on Savile Row.

CYNTHIA and JULIAN also missed the performance as they were holidaying with Cyn's mother in Italy.

That's all for now, Beatle People. See you in the August issue!

Freda Kelly
National Secretary of the Official Beatles' Fan Club

***

July 1968

London

Studio 2 was drab and draughty, the walls stark and adorned with padded tan drapes left over from the 1940s. Besides the lack of decor and the employees in their brown-grey suits, EMI had a clinical British establishment feel that traditionally tried to put people in their places by telling them to Keep Calm and Carry On. Abbey Road was boring as arse with no vibe to speak of. But, it was still home.

Paul thought the parquet floors looked unusually shiny under his black penny loafers as he stepped into the studio that evening. His face stung from a sloppy last minute shave and he had a restless bounce in his step to match the tune in his head. This time it was the bridge for a new number he'd been up late the night before tinkering with.

Hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
La la di da di da da

The other Beatles were gathered around a mess of amps and wires set up on an antique rug beneath the control room's viewing window. Ringo, dressed in a ruffled lemon yellow shirt and striped trousers, was slumped in a chair, his eyes red like he'd had a bit too much fun the night before. George and John were huddled over something together while Yoko watched from her silent perch. George was looking very cool in double denim and a crazy pair of fur-trimmed moccasin boots, but neither John or Yoko looked like they'd bathed or changed their clothes in about a week. Fuck only knew what they were getting up to now that they'd taken up residence at Ringo's flat in Montague Square.