Chapter 20

It was early by the night performer's standards

It was early by the night performer's standards. The sun was still up, the park as lively as it could be this time of year. The cold was definitely beginning to seep in, I had to break out a thicker jacket before heading for the practice room. The autumn leaves were starting to drop slowly, and it wouldn't be much longer before they closed the park for the winter season. I couldn't sleep again, not with the dreams I'd been having. I keep seeing people and places that I felt like I should know, but none of them were familiar and rather than staring at my ceiling trying to decipher them, I decided to burn the extra energy perfecting my routine with Jungkook. The part of it I could do myself anyway. Being an aerialist, I thought my core strength was good, but Jungkook's routine was testing my stamina and strength in certain poses.

We hadn't even started my support poses yet with Jungkook saying he wanted to be certain I was ready for them. Figuring it was probably a good portion of the routine I'd be able to train myself on well enough, I scoured through their equipment for the weighted belt Jungkook usually used for me. I wiped the sweat off my brow, securing the belt and letting the weight settle for me to get used to.

The noises of the park grounds were waning. I couldn't hear but a handful of excited screams every once in a while or the obnoxious ringing of one of the rides starting up. I'm sure the sun was sinking lower, and the temperature was dropping. It wouldn't be too much longer before the crowd would be heading home for the evening. With the sweat I was working up, the colder weather sounded nice and I found myself looking forward to getting some air after this set of exercises. Surely Jungkook would be awake and looking for me by that time. I double checked the belt around my waist, making sure it was in the right position before slowly leaning my upper half into a backbend. The added weight around my hips wasn't terrible, but I knew from previous sessions that it wouldn't take long for that extra weight to start wearing down my muscles. Taking a couple of breaths to control my breathing, I moved into position, palms lying flat on either side of my head and heels lifting off the floor to counter the additional weight, shifting the load to the balls of my feet.

The goal was the hold it longer than I did last time. Building my stamina was more important in this stage rather than how heavy I could go. Although if I was going to support Jungkook, I'd have to train myself in that aspect too. Practice with him reminded me of when Yunho and I first started together. I had practically been brand new as an aerialist and spent more time in the tent for practicing than I did in my own bed most days. Learning something new was exciting and though I'd forever hold onto aerial silks as my favorite routines, it was refreshing to be trying something different. I let my eyes slip closed, turning my thoughts from the building ache in my pelvic region to a certain blue-eyed, lollipop addict that I hadn't seen in a few days.

Taehyung had made himself unusually scarce. Whether it was my words to him or someone else's, I didn't know nor did I care much.

Not seeing him has given me the space and time to ruminate on what happened between us. Ultimately, I couldn't let it come between him and I and especially not between us and the others. I cleared my throat, trying to focus back on my workout. We were both adults anyway. We could keep this between us and not let it affect our professional relationship. Reassuring myself, I emptied my mind and let my worries slip away momentarily. My calves were starting to burn, but I willed myself to hold it.