Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Fuck." I say as I try to steady my racing heart. Alastor notices my shaky breaths and the fear in my eyes.  "Calm down, darling. He can't hurt you now." He says, his voice soothing as he grabs my shoulders and gently steadies me.

I look up at him. "I know." I let out a shaky sigh before continuing. "He's just really terrifying when he gets worked up." Alastor nods in understanding, his expression softening as he looks down at me.

"I know. But you don't have to worry about him anymore. I won't let him anywhere near you." He reassures me as his grip on my shoulders tightens slightly. I nod my head as I take another breath.

Alastor watches me carefully, his eyes studying my face for any signs of further distress. "Are you alright?" He asks, his tone gentle and concerned. "I'm good now." I say with a small smile.

His smile widens in return. "Good." He then glances around the lobby for a moment before looking back down at me. "Why don't we go and let Charlie know you'll be staying here?"

"Sounds good." I say as I become slightly more excited. He nods and then takes my hand in his, lacing our fingers together as he starts to lead me towards the staircase. "Let's go. I'm sure Charlie will be happy you're moving in." A small hum escapes me as I think about her reaction. "I think she'll be happy too."

He lets out a low chuckle, obviously amused by the thought. "Oh, she'll be ecstatic." He says. We reach the stairs and start up them, our footsteps echoing softly in the stairwell.

Alastor keeps my hand firmly in his grasp as we make our way up the stairs. Even with the firmness of his grip it's still gentle and as an air of protectiveness to it making my heart flutter. As we reach the top, he glances down at me with a small smile. "Are you ready to surprise her?"

I nod excitedly as I feel my phone begin to buzz in my pocket. "So ready." He squeezes my hand slightly before turning his attention to knock on her door.

As he does this I quickly take out my phone to see many messages from Velvette. I gulp slightly as I put my phone on do not disturb before putting it back in my pocket.

After a moment, we can faintly hear footsteps on the other side of the door. "Who is it?" Charlie calls out from behind the door. Alastor chuckles before answering. "Just me my dear."

The door quickly swings open as Charlie's face lights up with her usual smile. "Alastor! What can I do for you?" She then glances over to me and her smile widens. "Oh my goodness." Charlie looks between the two of us for what felt like eternity.

"Up for a new guest?" I ask with a sheepish smile. She squeals with delight before lunging forward and wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. "Yes! Yes, of course!" She exclaims, her voice filled with excitement.

I stumble back slightly making Alastor rest his hand on my lower back. "You are very excited." I say after I register her unexpected touch. Charlie finally pulls away from me, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Of course I am! This is going to be so awesome!"

She then turns and grabs my hand. "Come on! Let's get you set up." Alastor quickly speaks up before she can drag me off. "No need. She'll be staying with me." My face immediately heats up from his words. That's one way to announce what we are.

Charlie's eyes widened for a moment, processing his words. After a moment her face breaks out in a wide grin. "That's adorable!" She claps her hands together once before looking between the two of us. "How long has this been going on?"

"Uhh." I mutter out as I look between him and her. "It's a recent development." Alastor answers, his tone nonchalant. I nod my head. "Yup. Very recent." Charlie's grin widens as she looks between the two of us again, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.