Chapter 5

In the middle of the night Aakash woke up from his deep slumber. He checked the bedside table for water but the jug was empty.

He looked by his side and found Dhara sleeping peacefully. He gently stroked her hair for a minute and then got up to get some water.

While coming out of his room he saw a middle aged man and a girl around his age leaving the house. He instantly knew who they were.

His parents had a troublesome marriage. Since the age of 12 he has seen such random men and women in his house.

He asked his parents about it but they always dismissed him saying that it is nothing important. By the time he was seventeen, he deciphered the true reason behind it.

Both his parents had extramarital affairs. He once eavesdropped on their conversation by mistake.

Apparently, his father  was not satisfied by his mother sexually. So he started having sexual relationships with other women.

When his mother came to know about this she argued with him but it resulted in nothing but chaos. After all she was human too.

She remained quiet for some time but at last gave into her desires.

His father too did not have any problem with this arrangement till the time it remained inside the house.

Since that day, Aakash hated the term marriage with everything he had.

He had made up his mind that there is no such thing as love, loyalty or respect.

Thus when he got married he thought the same about Dhara. He knows that maybe she is not like his mother but what if she too will lose interest in him.

What will he do then? All in life he has been surrounded by betrayals. His rational mind prevents him from going near her every time he tries.

His eyes burned in rage looking at their retreating figures. He soon returned back to his room. Not wanting to think about all this he went back to sleep.

                              🕊️

The next morning Dhara woke up feeling a little dizzy. She saw that Aakash was sleeping next to her. He seemed tired.

She remembered what happened yesterday. She was certain that someone had pushed but couldn't see who it was.

She could only recall Aakash's face before becoming unconscious. She checked the time and decided to go and take a bath.

She got slowly from the bed so that she does not wake him up. Her wounds were still paining but it was very less as compared to before.

She stood inside the washroom trying to open the hook of her blouse. Due to the pain in her body every time she tried opening it her hands slipped away.

A hiss escaped her lips when she accidentally touched the side of her stomach. The very next second she was  turned  around by her shoulders.

"Kaha lagi dikha mujhe?"

A worried Aakash was standing in front of her. His face was filled with worry and concern.

Dhara couldn't believe her ears. She was looking at him like a small baby.

"Bol bhi ab. Kaise lagi tujhe?

"Ji vo blouse.."

Aakash understood what she was trying to say. He could've gone and called his mother or sister.

But that would've resulted into unnecessary gossip among the servants. Also a part of him didn't want to risk her safety.

What if she again got hurt?