Chapter 0

It was a dark stormy night at the Shimizu residence. Rain poured down and covered the streets, thunder and lightning covered the sky. The family sits down in front of the TV.

Daichi: "Normally the weatherman is always right, there wasn't even supposed to be a storm today.."

Hana: "The storm is scaring the children.." she says looking worried at the kids

Daiko, the second eldest son, stands on the sofa and exclaims

Daiko: "No thunder and lightning will scare me! I'm going to be a part of the Vang-"

Daiko's speech is cut off as lightning strikes down

Daiko: "Mom!" He says as he runs towards his mother.

Hana: "It's ok dear... It'll pass!"

Daichi's phone rings

Daichi: "It's them.."

Hana: looks at Daichi somberly "It's ok... Go take it.."

Rina, the eldest sibling, looks up from her book

Rina: "Does he have to?" she says disappointingly

Daichi: "It'll be just a minute!" he says with a thumbs up and tongue sticking out

Daichi walks to the other room and answers the call

Daichi: "Hello? Oh.. I mean.. Now? It's pouring out! No, she won't be coming. Do you really have to ask? We just had a son! Fine."

Daichi walks back to the living room

Daichi: "I have to leave.."

Daiko and Rina: "WHAT!"

Daiko: "Come on! Don't go!"

Rina: "Yeah Dad!"

Daichi walks up to his room and changes into his Vanguard uniform. Changing into his armor with a smooth bronze bull helmet, with horns on the side, gauntlets made of stone, and a chest piece made of stone with a "V" logo on the left. He grabs his grabs his axe and puts it behind him.

Daichi walks up to both Rina and Daiko and pats their heads

Daichi: "I'll be right back! Promise!"

Daichi walks up to Hana and kisses her cheek as she's holding her newborn baby boy.

Daichi: "I love you."

Hana: "I love you too."

Daichi points his finger out to his newborn and the baby grabs onto his finger

Daichi: "I'll hold heaven and earth on my shoulders to make the world a better place for you to live and grow up in... Ryo."

As Daichi says this, Ryo coos and smiles at his father

Daichi: "Have dinner without me!" He says as he opens the door and walks out

The family continues to go on as normal. Daiko playing on his gaming console, Rina reading more books to study her essence, and Hana was watching TV while holding Ryo.

That night. He never came home. My mother waited tirelessly in the living room, sleeping on the sofa for weeks, awaiting his arrival. When the Vanguard came by to notify my mother that my father was both KIA and MIA, my mother retired from the Vanguard. She was afraid of leading evil forces to our doorstep and threatening our family.

That was the last time I saw my father. Well, the last time I heard him. I was too young to remember my father's face, I could only remember his strong voice. When I was about eight years old, my mother showed me a photo of my father, it was an old photo, it had my father and mother in their Vanguard uniforms with my father wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

I was told my father was one of the strongest Vanguard members. Codename: Atlas. He had an essence where he could control the earth beneath his feet. Not only was he the strongest but he was also a part of... The Pantheon. Only the strongest are allowed in that group. When my mother told me this, my dreams of becoming an astronaut became dim as the dream of becoming a part of the Vanguard started to shine. As the years went by, I was waiting for my essence. Would it be a Beast essence like my older brother? Would it be a Shift essence like my eldest sister? Five years went by and... nothing. No spark of a weird essence or me being able to fly or something...

Hana: "Maybe it will come when you least expect it" 

Her voice was soothing, yet laced with the worry she tried to hide. She was THE Serene, after all, a healer and a former member of the Pantheon. Her healing mist had saved countless lives, and her essence was a symbol of hope.

But days had turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. My hope dwindled. The school life was tough. Kids can be cruel, and being the essence-less son of legendary Vanguard members made me an easy target.

"Hey, Ryo! Still waiting for your essence to show up?" they would taunt. I would clench my fists and walk away, pretending their words didn't sting.

Evenings were the worst. I'd sit on the porch, staring at the stars, feeling the weight of expectations crashing down on me. Mom would find me there, her gentle smile never failing to lift my spirits, if only a little.

Hana: "You'll find your path, Ryo."

she would say, wrapping me in a hug that smelled of lavender and comfort.

Hana: "Essence or not, you have the heart of a Vanguard."

Still, the doubt gnawed at me. What if I never developed an essence? Would I always be the ordinary kid in an extraordinary family? 

I lay in my bed wondering about this, especially the day before the Vanguard Institute applications were due...