Chapter 2

Ryo: "WHAT?!"

Daiko: "Yeah man! You'll be coming to Fujiyama Institute with us!"

Rina: "We can teach you how to get around and-"

Ryo: "I never submitted my application though... how?"

Hana: "I cashed in a favor."

Ryo: "What?"

Hana: "You've always looked up to us, admired what we do, and dreamed of walking in our footsteps, carrying on our legacy. It's in your blood, Ryo, that drive to protect and to serve, to be part of something bigger than yourself. And I believe in you, more than you might know."

Hana: "You can't give up on your dreams simply because one way didn't work."

Ryo: "Then how will I be able to join?"

Hana: "You take a step back and find a way around!"

Ryo: "Well... then... I need to do well on the written exam then..."

Rina: "That's the thing..."

Daiko: "The entrance exam this year is different than when Rina and I took them. We both had different exams." 

Rina: "For some reason, they're doing BOTH the Physical and Written exam on the same day..."

Daiko: "Plus, they're upping the difficulty on the exams this year..."

Ryo: "Standards are high I guess..."

Rina: "I mean... they were always high but not this high."

Daiko: "So we need to get you ready for the entrance exam! Physically and Mentally!"

Ryo: "I don't have an Essence though!"

Daiko: "So what? You'll... uh.. be the first essence-less Vanguard member then!"

Rina: "Ooo! I'll bring out my old textbooks!"

Ryo: "Could we start tomorrow? It's summer..."

Daiko: "Yeah sure... IF YOU WANT TO FAIL! The exams are 3 months from now! So come on! Get changed, we're going on a run first!"

Ryo: "Fine... fine..."

Daiko and Ryo change into their workout clothes

Daiko: "Just to make things fair, I won't use my essence at all. Just some good ol' running, now follow if you can!"

Daiko speeds off first with Ryo lagging behind

Daiko: "Come on Ryo! You can go faster than that!"

Ryo: "I-I can't!" he says out of breath

Daiko: "Just imagine you're in a race with someone you hate! You wouldn't want to lose right!" he says while running backward

Ryo: "KEISUKEEEEEEE!" he yells as he goes into a full-on sprint

Daiko: "Yeah DUDE!" Daiko turns back around and keeps on running

Daiko runs for another three minutes until he looks back to check on Ryo

What he sees: