Chapter 12

Goodbye Team Yahoos! What a bunch of... yahoos! We beat them by a whole ten points. Swag is gonna win this thing—just wait! We're facing Kings n' Queens next. They seem formidable enough—beating them should be fun. We have ten points, plus the thirty points from this morning; that makes... fifty points—no, wait... forty—yeah, forty points. That means we're currently winning the Kalikabuza Tournament—hell yeah!

People are starting to arrive at the park. It's finally open to the public. Many people go over to the rides, but lots of people are coming over to the beach to... watch us? We have an audience? Wow... now we really have to win! That's a lot of people!

"Duke!" Macy calls out. "Duke! Duke!"

"What? What?"

"Let me spike this match!"

I roll my eyes. "Why do you wanna spike so bad?"

Macy puts her hand on her hip. "I play volleyball in school! I'm on the school team—been in it for two years. I know how to spike, and if you want us to win then—"

"Alright, alright, you can spike. Just... don't screw up."

Macy smiles and tilts her head.

'This is Kabuza 92.0—that's Kabuza with a K. And this is your host Amy Simcox with DJ Werfroza in the house! The round of sixteen of the volleyball tournament is underway. Things are getting spycish out there. Let's hear some commentary from our DJ Wer.'

'Thank you, Amy. I'm no sports analyst, but I can tell you that there are teams out there that kick some butt. Team Hot Rods, led by one Blake Wallace, is an absolute terror on the court. If you want to beat them, you'll need a strong team. Team Combo 32 is also formidable, but also quite interesting: they are the only team on the beach that have played all its girls at once. Other teams should follow the example. The previous match, they played all their boys. Other teams are playing a more conservative strategy, like Swag, which has not changed any of its players—perhaps they are saving their best for last? I can't quite predict who's going to pass on to the next round. All the teams look strong.'

'Word. Thanks, Wer. I'll recommend you to some sports channels.'

'Thanks, Amy!'

'So, as the round of sixteen continues, we'll leave you with more hit music. This is Kabuza 92.0.'

Macy can spike... damn! I hope she doesn't ask me to apologize. Mike is also doing well, but he hogs the ball too much. "Hey, Mike, how about you set the ball for us once in a while, huh?"

"Sorry, bro. Will do."

Alright, so we are winning 12-7. Half of our points are from Macy's spikes. Damn, this chick is good. And I just noticed... she has a nice... round...

"Duke!"

Shit! The ball hit me on the head. Damn it, stupid ball. Fine... I'll keep my eyes on the ball... for now. "My bad guys."

Half-time. Everyone walks to the kiosk.

"Yo, Duke, when are you gonna play the rest of our team?" Mike asks.

The rest? Does he mean those fat, nerdy kids? I shrug. "We have a good streak so far with the ones who are playing."

Macy steps up. "But didn't you hear the radio station? They know we haven't switched players."

I shrug again. "Well... so what? I mean, is there, like, a rule that says everyone has to play?"

"No... but... what about the other girls? You can't bench them the whole day. They kinda came to camp to play."

Anissa stands, "I'll play. Like... whatever."

"Okay, so someone goes out and Anissa comes in. Problem solved."

"Yeah, I'll switch out," Mike says.

"What? Not you!" I cry. "You're the best! I need you blocking. You're tall!"

"But I'm tired. And the girls haven't played."

I shake my head. "No, no. Uh, Nick... you switch out."

"Me?"

"Yeah, with, uh... Emma."

"I'm not really good at volleyball," says Emma in a quiet voice.

"See? Our lineup is good as it is."

"Everyone should get to play," Macy declares. "Or would you rather sit there for another hour, Emma?"

"No..."

Politics and girl ideology—no guy can win there. "Fine. But Mike, you stay."

"Oh, come on, Duke!"

"Just this match! Then you can rest. Let's make sure we get to the next round and really make sure we finish the day at the top of the points table!"

"I'll switch out," Macy says. "Anissa, you can play."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! I make those decisions. I'm the team leader."

Macy looks at me.

"Fine, you can switch out. Anissa come in. But Mike, bro, stay this one match."

"Alright, alright, I'll stay," he scoffs.

'Kalikabuza is a rad place to be, but come here at Sun-Out Lights-On and you'll see a whole new face: all-you-can-eat buffets at the Spiky Peak Mall, free swimming pool access from 6pm to midnight; bonfire and lantern parties on the beach; and free concerts every night at Dynamo Dome. So after all the tournament action, come unwind with us at Kabuza 92.0, the only radio station that brings you all the hit music under the sun.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello! Bati here,

Please stay tuned for all upcoming chapters daily! This story is fast-paced so I wrote the chapters short and engaging to keep you coming back for more! Who do you think will win the volleyball tournament in Day 1?