Chapter 19

'Have you ever scored three strikes in a row?

'No, Amy! The worst I've ever scored was probably a spare.'

'Well, Team Penguins just won their first game with three brilliant strikes in their tenth frame!'

'Whoa! Watch out for those Penguins!'

'Right? So here is a full list of the teams advancing to the next round. Team Spycish, Mofos, Latte, Yolo, Swag, Ballahs, The Ish, Penguins, Hot Rods, Flies, Testify, Cherry Pie, Boo-Ya, Skillz, Three-O, and LOL. Sixteen lanes will empty out, and sixteen will see the next round! Let's see which of these teams make it through! Stick around for some more bowling with us here at Kabuza 92.0, bringing you all the hit music under the sun!'

How do the radio people know what's going on in the alley, if they are in some studio in the park? I don't see any radio people around. I guess they have people in the crowd sending them information? Interesting... Anyway, we're facing Team Flies. Michelle is only playing five people per game. I'm sitting out for this one. With me are Todd, Gabriela, Johan and... Michelle, this time around. We are all sitting around a circular mini lounge, and at the center there is a monitor showing us our score. The game begins. So far, we have five points—if we win this game, we'll have fifteen.

She's really pretty... Michelle, I mean. I didn't care before, because she was so bossy; but after that talk with Elise about how she's terrifying but pretty, I've really started to realize it. Michelle is beautiful. It's not just that she has a sweet, pretty face: she also has an amazing presence. She doesn't walk; she sways in. She doesn't talk; she inspires. She doesn't smile; she glows. I really can't explain it. She really is a princ—

"Why are you staring at me so much?"

Oh... crap! Oh no! Oh no! I'm so stupid! Why did I stare at her for so long?

"I know you were looking. What's up? Do I have a pimple, or am I just that pretty?"

"No..."

"No, what? I don't have a pimple, or am I not pretty?"

"Uh you—you—you—"

"Gosh, someone should have told me I had a pimple!" Michelle says.

"No... you don't have a... a pimple."

"Oh, I don't?"

"No, I was just..." Oh man... I feel so humiliated. I must be red.

"You think I'm pretty then! Don't you?" She leans toward me.

"Well, I, uh..."

"Come on, Jonesy, say it!"

"Say it man, say it!" Johan laughs.

I must be redder than blood. Oh man... "You're... you're... pre..."

"What's that?"

"You're pretty..."

Michelle smiles brightly. "Thank you, Jonesy!"

"Yeah..." I murmur something and look down at my goofy bowling shoes.

"So, Jonesy, do you have a girlfriend?" Michelle insists.

"A–a girlfriend?"

"Yeah, you know, a girl you like."

Why is she asking me this? What did I do? "No... I don't."

"Well, go get one! You have an entire park full of girls!"

"Uh..."

"And once you get a girlfriend, tell me and I'll check if she's worthy of you."

And I just about burst from my enormous blush.