Chapter 59

-Note Pad-

-New Entry #7-

Dear Diary, July 16th, Thursday

We didn't make it to the quarter finals of the Soccer Tournament. Weezna beat us 2-1, and that was that. We didn't even bother with a goal celebration, so no bonus points. Our team is in danger. I'm not sure how other teams are doing, but Jonesy says that our chances of winning the Kalikabuza Tournament now are slim. Any team could beat us tomorrow. We would have to win a ton of points tomorrow and hope the top teams lose badly. Gosh, I don't know what's worse at this point... that we're underperforming in the Tournament, or that we're spending Tournament Points to pay for our stuff. Or maybe... the worst part is the fact that Michelle no longer seems to care about our team. All she seems to want is increasing her popularity. But lately, her popularity is dwindling. There are rumors going around about her that are making people see her under a different light. I'm starting to feel sorry for her. I know those rumors hurt her. But they're really having the effect of decreasing her popularity, little by little. Maybe if that continues... she'll turn to me again, and want to be friends. We have one more day.

-save-

Cabin 7 is no longer cozy. It's awkward now. It's awkward sharing such a small space with a group of people who are all divided. Jackson, Bianca, Will and Johan all think the rest of us aren't trying hard, or don't care about winning. I know they think that. But they won't say it directly to us. They won't start a confrontation. Instead, they keep quiet, and stay on their phones. If we could just talk about things, maybe the mood wouldn't be so tense. I even feel like starting the conversation, but... it's just too tense in here. There is total, dry silence. We're in the middle of July, but this cabin feels like it's frozen ten feet under snow in January. And what if, against all odds, we do end up winning the Tournament? Is this how we're going to celebrate—estranged and divided?

"What the hell!"

We all turn immediately to the shriek: Michelle just came out of the bathroom and tumbled into Agnetha.

"I'm so sorry! I was just—"

"Why the hell would you stand right outside the door?"

"I'm sorry, I—"

"You're such a—such a—ah! Get out of my way!" Michelle pushes Agnetha aside, and storms past her, and past us. She opens the front door, "I'll be back later." She slams the door shut.

Wow...

"Agnetha," Adriana says, "hey girl..."

Agnetha is frozen. She's crying. If she were a sheet of glass, Michelle just shattered her to pieces.

"Great leader we have," Todd dares to say, as Adriana stands up and walks over to comfort Agnetha.

"Well she was standing in a pretty stupid place," Bianca says, without looking away from her phone.

"So that gives Michelle the right to talk to her that way?" Adriana cries.

"Just saying..."

"I bet you wouldn't be any happier if she had yelled at you that way," Todd speaks up again.

"I would never stand right outside the door like that," Bianca answers.

"It's not a matter of where Agnetha was standing, guys!" Adriana cries. She's hugging a very tearful Agnetha. "Michelle is way in over her head. You don't yell at people like that. You just don't. She has no right to be such a... such a bitch!"

Bianca straightens up. "Are you calling Michelle a bitch behind her back?"

Adriana shrugs.

"Why don't you say that to her face?" Will asks.