Chapter eighteen

Mattheo

May 23nd, 1 p.m. , Scottish Highlands

Lucia's eyes haunted my mind, her hair, her soft skin, and her lips...they were impossible to forget.

I woke up abruptly, like snapping out of a nightmare, convinced I was losing my mind. The exhaustion from our escape was catching up with me, even though I was usually strong enough to handle it. I had been trained to endure far worse. These thoughts about her were unwelcome, and I pushed them away forcefully.

The unicorn had been an unexpected revelation. Lucia's innocence puzzled me. It was believable that she had never killed anyone innocent, but how could someone like her have never been intimate with anyone? The thought gnawed at me, and I couldn't make sense of it. Her beauty was undeniable, yet she remained untouched in ways that defied my understanding.

I reminded myself of who I was. I had faced horrors and emerged unscathed, emotionally detached. This turmoil was nothing compared to what I had endured. Yet, her presence stirred something within me, a curiosity I didn't welcome.

Before finding the cave, we had wandered through the rugged Highlands for hours. The path had mostly been uphill, and each step had seemed more arduous than the last. The morning mist clung to the trees, casting an ethereal veil over the landscape, making it feel as though we were wandering through some sort of paradise. The sharp, stony terrain had tested our endurance, and the chill of the early morning had seeped into our bones. The silence between us had been heavy, filled with unspoken thoughts and unresolved tension.

Eventually, we had stumbled upon a small cave nestled within a rocky outcrop. Its hidden entrance promised a modicum of safety, a place where we could rest without fear of immediate discovery. I had quickly cast protective spells around the entrance, ensuring we would be alerted to any approaching danger. With a flick of my wand, I had conjured something soft to sleep on.

Lucia had settled down, her movements slow and deliberate. The events of the past days had clearly taken their toll on her. I could see it in the slump of her shoulders, the dark circles beneath her eyes. Yet, even in her weariness, there was a resilience to her, a strength that was impossible to ignore.

As I lay there, I couldn't help but think of the paradox she represented. Her innocence was a mystery, and it challenged everything I thought I knew about people. I told myself I would unravel this enigma, not because it mattered to me, but because it was a puzzle I couldn't leave unsolved. With that thought, I closed my eyes once again, hoping for a brief respite from the confusion that plagued my mind.

I drifted once again into a fitful sleep, my mind swirled with fragments of memories and the haunting image of Lucia's innocent eyes. The cave provided some semblance of safety, but my thoughts were anything but secure.

***

I awoke to the muted light filtering through the cave entrance, the chill of the Highlands air biting against my skin. I turned to check on Lucia. She was still asleep, her breathing steady. The sight of her, even in rest, stirred an unsettling mix of emotions within me. I quickly turned away, focusing instead on the tasks at hand.

We had to move again soon. We couldn't afford to linger in one place for too long. The Death Eaters wouldn't rest until they found us. The morning air was cold, and the cave, though offering shelter, did little to keep the chill at bay. I cast a quick warming spell, feeling a little more comfortable.

Lucia stirred and woke, her eyes blinking against the light. For a moment, she seemed disoriented, but then her gaze settled on me, and the tension returned. We shared a silent understanding - words were unnecessary. We both knew the gravity of our situation.