Chapter 1: The ruination

Aira

I sat in front of the mirror, my heart fluttering with nervous anticipation. Mom carefully adjusted the intricate folds of my Lehnga, her hands trembling ever so slightly. Beside her, my brother Armaan boasted over the fact that I was wearing a red lehnga which looked prettied in comparison to the White one Neil wanted for me.

I thought the same, I wanted to wear Red too but Neil and his parents said that thay have this tradition that the Lehnga should be from their side and well Neil liked a White lehnga, his parents too so I didn't say anything.

There was just one dress I couldn't take my eyes off, the red lehnga I am wearing right now and No, I didn't say a word to Neil about it so I have no idea how he realsied that and changed the order to the red Lehnga even though he really really liked the white one.

"You look absolutely stunning, Aira," Mom whispered, she looked like she was about to cry. "Vikram, doesn't she look like a princess?"

Dad's face was sparkling with pride and lobe for me, he nodded with a small smile. "She's the most beautiful bride I've ever seen."

"Just like her mother." He added dropping a kiss on her forehead and I and Armaan awed at them.

Armaan grinned mischievously. "You're going to take everyone's breath away." I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

Despite the nerves that twisted in my stomach, their reassuring presence filled me with a sense of calm. Today was supposed to be the happiest day of my life - the day I would marry Neil but something felt extremely amiss.

I don't know why but I felt weird like something was going to go extremely wrong.

It's might be just the overwhelming situation or just me overthinking it all or maybe just an instinct, but I have felt like I was being watched, like someone has been following me, keeping their eyes on my every movement.

I even felt someone's presence in my room yesterday night but when I opened my eyes there was no one. The window was opened. It was impossible for someone to enter my room in this home. 

We have gaurds all over the place and the house is so big, my room is on the third floor. The window is so high that anyone attempting to climb up will directly climb to God.

There was a pendant around my neck - it's totally unique and something I have never seen before - a pheonix wrapped around a butterfly. Though, it's beautiful but I can't comprehend a positive meaning to it.

The pendant is exactly what caused all the distress and fear I felt in those two minutes becasue when I turned on the lights, Neil's handkerchief was lying beside my bed table and I realised it was just him. So it was just my overthinking.

I am getting married, 'To the love of my life' would be a little exaggerated but Neil is the best man you can ask for. He cares for me, makes sure I am alright and doesn't interferes very much with my personal decisions.

Our parents lifelong friendship led them to suggest our marriage, and seeing how close I and Neil had became over the time, they suggested to get us married and after Neil agreed, I found myself content with the arrangement.

Well the settling down was a bit sooner but I guess it was for the better because someday I will have to settle down so it's better if it's with someone I know and besides Neil is really a good person.

Someone knocked on the door and my brother answered it, letting my mom know that I was being called. My heart skipped a beat. It was time.

With one last deep breath, I rose from my seat. As I descended the staircase, Mom on one side and Dad on the other, Armaan followed close behind, a proud smile on his face.