Chapter 19: Thrown In Prison

Suddenly Xiao Zhao heard something whip past him and saw a glint of metal. It cut the rope that connected the horse to the wagon. He fell backwards and the wagon slid to a stop just inches from the edge.

His heart was beating very fast and he looked down to realize he was still holding the other end of the rope. He forced himself to release the rope and take a deep breath. He slowly sat up and glanced at Han Jun.

Han Jun had closed his eyes tightly and clutched his chest tightly with his right hand. His other hand was touching his back where he fell against the wood. "Ow!" He groaned. "That hurt!"

Xiao Zhao looked at Han Jun's face and felt a pang of guilt. Maybe I shouldn't have grabbed the reins away from Han Jun. Wait, why do I feel bad for him? He's the one that almost killed me!

Despite this, Xiao Zhao reached his hand out and patted Han Jun on the shoulder and said, "Hey, you alright?"

"Do I LOOK alright?" Han Jun groaned.

Xiao Zhao looked him up and down and replied, "Yes."

"Uggg..." was all Han Jun said.

"Here let me help you down," Xiao Zhao said as he took Han Jun's one arm and grabbed his waist for support. He carefully descended the carriage. Once they had descended, a man wearing armor quickly approached them.

"Greetings, Third Prince. I am General Li. Forgive me for coming late," he bowed to show his respect.

"T-T-Third Prince?!" Xiao Zhao stuttered in shock. He unwittingly let go of Han Jun who crumpled to the ground.

Han Jun groaned.

Xiao Zhao stepped away from Han Jun and pointed to the figure on the ground. "H-He's Third Prince?!"

Li Qing stepped out from the crowd and crossed his arms, sword in his right hand. "He is the Third Prince," he confirmed.

Xiao Zhao guffawed. He had heard stories about the princes. The first one was a general and had control of the army, the second was always sick but was very calculated, and the third loved to draw, write, and study and was a simpleton. He had heard what would happen to people who dared hurt the princes: death. Now that Han Jun, no, Third Prince he should say, almost died because of him, he'd be lucky to escape unscathed. He glanced at the crumpled figure on the ground. If he died...

Xiao Zhao immediately dropped to his knees and kowtowed. " Forgive me Third Prince! I didn't mean to hurt you! I deserve to die! Please show me your mercy! I am but your servant! Don't stoop to my—"

He felt a hand on his head and he looked up. It was the Third Prince's hand. Past Han Jun's hand, Xiao Zhao saw his face. His mouth had a tingle of blood on it. He hadn't noticed it before now.  "Xiao Zh-Zhao..." Han Jun smiled. He closed his eyes and his hand dropped to his side.

What happened afterwards Xiao Zhao could only distinctly remember. Someone yelled, "Third Prince fainted! Third Prince fainted!" After which Han Jun was then whisked away by guards.

General Li turned to Li Qing and Xiao Zhao and said, " You two, come with us." He turned away and was about to walk away.

"Wait, why?" Xiao Zhao asked.

General Li turned to face them. "You two were with him. Now that he has been hurt, you two must be responsible."

"But-"

General Li glared at Xiao Zhao which made him immediately shut up. They marched the remaining way to Jing Du. Xiao Zhao and Li Qing walked side by side. They had been walking for a while when Xiao Zhao started to feel slightly dizzy. With each step he took, he felt the world spin more and more. Oh no. Before he could think any more, he dropped to the ground, gasping. Pain shot through his body as he started to involuntarily shake. The shaking started with his hands first and then slowly spread to the rest of his body. He felt his head pound so hard and he brought his shaking hands to his ears, covering them. The pain all over and the pounding of his head made it unbearable. He rolled on the ground desperately. The pain became more intense and he felt himself going mad. The world spun faster and faster and then mercifully, darkness.