A Man of the Law (P2)

"Why me?"

Mavis paused his ministrations, "What do you mean?”

The pause had Oswald feeling almost sick with anxiety.

"I mean...I'm a criminal. I'm crooked, ruthless, and a murderer."

He swallowed heavily.

"You're a cop. You're a good person. You have morals and a sense of justice. Why would you ever want to be with someone like me?”

Part of Mavis wanted to ask where all this was coming from, but he decided to reassure Oswald first.

"I thought we agreed to leave work out of this," he chided gently. "You're a smart, handsome, and wonderful man.”

The compliments, while sincere and loving, seemed to only upset Oswald more as another wave of doubt hit him.

"That- you say that, but -" He cut himself off, a sigh of frustration huffing past his lips.

"You shouldn't like me. You should be arresting me. I'm exactly the kind of man you're supposed to hate.”

"Ozzie..." Mavis sighed. Should he say it? Would saying it out loud make it real?

"If moving here and working with the GCPD has taught me anything... the people we're told to hate aren't always the enemy.”

The words had Oswald freezing, his heart seizing up in his chest.

Was Mavis really saying what he thought he was saying?

The idea was almost too ridiculous for Oswald to even imagine...

He lifted his head slightly, staring at Mavis from underneath his bangs with a mixture of hope and doubt.

"Are you saying...what I think you're saying?" he asked quietly, his voice shaking.

"I won't be a detective much longer.”

The sentence - so simple, yet so heavy - made Oswald's heart drop in his chest, and he found himself suddenly feeling almost panicked.

"Are- wait, what?" he asked, his voice suddenly shaky and unsteady, his eyes wide.

"The Commissioner, essentially... uh-told me I can't keep my job on the force if we're together.”

Oswald froze, his heart dropping in his chest.

"What?" he repeated again, his voice barely above a whisper. "Why?"

He could barely believe it. He had never really thought about Mavis’ job - he hadn't really given any thought to the idea that perhaps their relationship could actually affect anything, that there'd be consequences.

The idea of Mavis losing his job over him of all people...no. There had to be some misunderstanding.

But a part of Oswald was selfish. He'd always been a selfish man (probably a byproduct of Gertrud's spoiling). And part of him was happy that Mavis was choosing him over his dream.

Oswald's thoughts were a mess, a tangle of confused emotion and guilt.

He was...pleased that Mavis was choosing him over his career. It was an alien feeling - he'd never had someone choose him over something important before.

But at the same time, he was also upset and guilty because he knew that this was probably a stupid decision, and Mavis was going to regret it.

"I..." Mavis held Oswald's face in his hands. His eyes traced his features. His hooked nose, pale green eyes, freckles, his cupid's bow...

"I love you.”

The words, so sincere, so sweet, had Oswald feeling almost weak suddenly, like they were a blow to his chest.

That doubt, that self-preservation was warning him to be cautious, to protect himself...but in that moment, he found himself unable to listen to it.

So, instead, he leaned into the boy's touch, letting out a shaky sigh.

"...I love you too," he whispered, letting his eyes close as he spoke.