Chapter 2

ADDISON MONTGOMERY SHEPHERD'S POINT OF VIEW

3.5 MONTHS LATER

MARCH 2007

"Are you okay?" I ask

"Are you okay?" I ask. She had paged me nine one one. I was operating, but one of the interns responded for me, telling her to meet me in my office in an hour. My heart races as I finish up the surgery. One of my residents offers to close for me, but I stay, refusing the help. I don't normally make promises to my patients, but this particular patient was so distraught when she was told she needs a cesarean section, and that she would have to be sedated due to her past complications that I gave her my word that everything would be fine. I need to see her through this. When the surgery is complete, I have my schedule cleared. I pull on my sweater over my scrubs and head down to my office. She is waiting for me when I return. She's sitting on the couch and singing sweet baby Noah a lullaby in Italian. How have I known her for this many years and never picked up Italian? It's not like she doesn't speak it around me. She stops singing as I take my sweater off and hang it on the hook. I have lived in New York for the better part of my life and I'm still not accustomed to the bitter cold. It's March. Shouldn't it be starting to warm up? I have a heater that runs continuously in my office. I had it negotiated into my contract. It's about 10 degrees warmer in the winter in my office than the rest of the hospital, and it is glorious. New York cold is a whole different kind of cold. You can feel it in your bones.

We haven't spoken much since that day I showed up at the precinct and warned her about Derek's threats. Since the day we both said 'I love you' as a part of the same conversation and she promised me that we'd figure this whole mess out. I don't blame her. She has her son to look after now, and I'm complicated. If Derek decided to kick off, it would be a lot bigger issue than just protecting herself. I'd like to say he'd never hurt a baby, but he is capable of so much more than he seems. He's only dreamy at work around the interns who swoon over him. I'm still working out my plan on how I am going to leave. Things are getting worse. His behavior makes me physically sick. I want so badly to leave. I want to disappear. I have the money I could change my name and my appearance. I could live for the rest of my life without ever having to work another moment. I know I can't though. In truth it seems like things are getting worse, but I really don't know. He's been ignoring me a lot. Honestly with the tension and suspense that builds up when he ignores me, I'd almost wish he'd just hit me and get it over with. At least then I know what to expect. I still go to the station for the incident reports, but that's it, and I've intentionally kept it brief, taking my own photographs, filling out my own reports. She's angry with me for staying, she doesn't understand I don't know how to leave. Not really. I always end up back with Derek in the end. Why do I love them both?