2 ~ Call of the forest

A few days of peace had passed, since our encounter. I continued to explore the hallowed halls of the castle under the comforting cloak of the night. The moonlight guiding my curiosity.

I have managed to avoid you thus far, sticking to a calculated route of back hallways and hyper-awareness of my surroundings. Due to getting away with this, I had begun to slacken in my vigilance, the paranoia beginning to dissipate, as each evening passes.

Tonight, I foolishly took a main corridor, silently slipping out the double doors to the grounds of the castle.

Tom, unable to shake off the memory of you, finds himself searching the hallways at night, looking for any sign of your presence. His frustration was building, as you continued to elude him, until tonight.

He finds himself following at a distance, concealed in the shadows. As he watches you walk across the soft, open grass, towards the Forbidden Forest. The sight of you alone in the middle of the night igniting something within him.

He follows, quiet and stealthy, keeping himself hidden, a strange desire to see where you were going and what you were doing. His eyes following your every movement. Your choice to head towards the Forbidden Forest, only seeming to further feed his curiosity.

There's something about your audacity, and blatant disregard for danger, that fascinates him. He can't deny it, as much as he tries to reason that he could simply let you go, there's a part of him that wants to know why...

I walk within the forest, dressed only in my long white night gown, and bare feet. The cold soil beneath my feet, was shocking at first, but now, I find helps me to feel better connected to the earth around me. I make my way over tree roots, and across the frost covered moss, that decorates the forest floor. A light fog coats the ground, a veil to conceal the forests many secrets.

As soon as I was brought here to Hogwarts, I was drawn to this forest despite the warnings of those around me.

The forest quickly became a place for me to relax, not having to hide beneath the mask I wear each day.

Concealing my true abilities is becoming increasingly difficult, but it was stressed to me, the importance that no one must find out. Apparently, it's got something to do with a damn prophecy.

All my life, it's been prophecy this, and prophecy that!

I thought coming here, and finally escaping the isolation of my childhood, that I would finally gain some freedom and understanding for myself.

Turns out, this was just another place I would be forced to hide. It may a beautiful façade, but it was still a cage all the same.

As I continue my walk, mind lost in thought, my hands trail along the trees beside me. Magic gently flowing from my fingertips, as it links and connects with the power around me. Restoring life, where it has been lost, and harmonising with that part of my magic.

I don't know much about my bloodline...I was forbidden from asking further questions as they claimed they'd interfere with the prophecy. What I do know, is that I'm somehow linked deeply within the magic that powers life. The life force of magic that flows within our world. I somehow can connect to it, even drawing power from it if needed.

I remain here in peace for a while longer, relishing in the connection and contentment I feel in this moment. My gaze calmy and curiously observing the life and creatures around me as I go.

Finally, I reluctantly begin to make the journey back to the castle.

Tom had grown impatient awaiting along the tree line that I disappeared into. He refused to follow; in case this was some sort of elaborate trap. Rather, deciding to wait for you here, where he can be in control of his surroundings.

Tom's eyes narrow as he watches your pale figure emerge from the cover of the forest.

He continues his pursuit, following once again from a distance, his caution is heightened, as he silently contemplates the best way to corner you again.

I'm aware of a presence behind me, having been taught from a young age to be aware of my surroundings. I know that whoever they are didn't follow me into the forest, but they seem determined now. I quicken my pace, as I jog up the steps. 

My feet suddenly cold at the loss of contact with the natural ground. Another benefit of bare feet is the ability to remain completely silent along the cool stone floors.

Tom recognises the distance you've managed to create between the two of you and stops in his tracks. He takes note that you're headed in the direction of the Gryphindor tower. He watches you fade from view, as he changes course for the Slytherin dorms instead.

He grumbles to himself as he descends the stairs, his frustration and anger, evident. But, as he walks, a determination sets in his mind.

He's not going to give up. Yes, you've won this round by evading him, but this is far from over. He'll find a way to confront you today, during classes or otherwise...