5: His Visit

The air in the apartment was thick with an eerie silence. Vince Luca Moretti, a powerful figure within the city's underworld, stood outside Ethan and Lila's apartment with his men. He was not one to be trifled with, known for his ruthlessness, but he also had a code of honor that he strictly adhered to. Debts needed to be paid, but he despised those who abused the vulnerable.

Vince motioned to his men to knock on the door, but there was no answer. Frustration and suspicion gnawed at him. He signaled for his men to force their way in. The door gave way with a loud crash, echoing through the empty apartment.

The living room was in disarray, hinting at the chaos that had unfolded there. Vince's sharp eyes scanned the area, but there was no sign of Ethan. He gestured for his men to search the place. As they moved deeper into the apartment, they reached the bedroom door. One of Vince's men opened it, revealing a scene that made even the hardened men pause.

Lila was lying on the bed, naked and motionless, her eyes wide and unfocused. Her face was streaked with dried tears, and it was clear she had been crying for hours. She looked like a broken doll, shattered and discarded.

Vince stepped into the room, his usually stoic expression betraying a flicker of anger and pity. He approached the bed cautiously. "Miss?" he said softly, trying to gauge her reaction. "Can you hear me?"

Lila didn't respond. Her eyes were distant, lost in a world of pain and confusion. Vince sighed, knowing this was going to be more difficult than he anticipated. He picked up a blanket from the floor and gently draped it over her, trying to offer some semblance of dignity and comfort.

He then fetched a glass of water from the kitchen and returned to her side. "Here, drink this," he urged, holding the glass to her lips. But she remained unresponsive, her body stiff with shock.

Vince's frustration grew, not with Lila, but with the situation. He had seen this kind of trauma before and knew that she needed help. Leaving her in this state was not an option. He called out to his second-in-command, Marco. "Find out what happened here. And locate Ethan. I want answers."

Marco nodded and left the room, barking orders to the rest of the men. Vince stayed with Lila, his presence a silent vow to protect her from further harm. His mind raced with anger and sorrow as he thought about his own sister, who had suffered a similar fate and hadn't survived. He couldn't let history repeat itself.

As Vince's men scoured the city for Ethan, Marco returned with grim news. "Boss, we found out that Ethan's been using his wife to make money. He's been gambling, and when that failed, he resorted to even worse measures. He's been physically and mentally abusing her."

Vince's jaw clenched, his anger simmering just beneath the surface. "Find him. Now."

Marco nodded and hurried off to continue the search. Vince turned his attention back to Lila, his resolve hardening. He couldn't let this woman suffer any longer. She deserved better, and he would make sure she got it.

Hours turned into days as the search for Ethan intensified. Vince personally oversaw the efforts, determined to bring Ethan to justice. He couldn't shake the image of Lila's haunted eyes from his mind. She needed someone to stand up for her, and Vince was more than willing to take on that role.

Vince sat beside Lila's bed, watching over her as she slept fitfully. Every now and then, she would mumble incoherently, her dreams plagued by the horrors she had endured. Vince's heart ached for her, a mix of rage and compassion fueling his determination.

One night, as Vince sat in the darkened room, Lila stirred and opened her eyes. She looked at Vince, her gaze unfocused. "Why?" she whispered, her voice barely audible. "Why are you helping me?"