Chapter 3: Aptitude

"Now don't be frightened Ayanokoji I simply got that information from you're application form"

"Please don't lie to me I was the one who filled up that form" I replied to his lie with a lie of my own

"Hahaha please I'm sorry for the confusion, you see I have the ability to read minds and I have a habit of looking into the background of the applicants I take charge of" 

Mind reading huh, I believe that he is lying to me again either that or its 'mind-reading' ability has a drawback to it or some conditions to make it active like that 'contract' ability from my seatmate

"Don't believe me? I can understand that."

"Is the exam going to start soon?" I want to get this exam over with so I can take the next part of the exam

"Oh no no your reason for enrolling in this school is already commendable in my eyes, I simply wanted to talk to you"

I stared at his face waiting for him to move on

"I see that you're in a hurry right now but the next exam will start tomorrow, We don't have enough staff to be able to interview all 40 thousand students in a few hours but by tomorrow all of the applicants should be finished with the interview"

"Then can I leave?" Now that I know I already passed this test I have no reason to be here

"Now why don't you hear me out for a second" 

"I'm listening" What does he need from me?

"I saw how fast you answered those questions, It was abnormal for a highschooler to be able to answer these questions so fast when these questions were university level, yet you only scored 15 correct answers on every subject aside from Japanese, you got a 0 there"

he stood up and grabbed a cup of water then sat back down

"Ironically your score wasn't 15 on every subject it was actually 40+. Every subject aside from Japanese of course your score there is zero"

Why did he emphasize my score of zero twice, I had no time left and did not know what those symbols meant or represented in the Japanese section, It was the first time I saw those symbols.

"So? What of it"

.

.

.

"Are you new to magic?"

If I say yes would that reduce my chances of enrolling in this school? This might be a ploy by him to make me admit that I am new to magic which in turn reduces my evaluation given to me by the school. And if I say 'No I'm not new to magic' he might ask me to demonstrate it, If he found out that I lied it might lead to a more significant decrease in my evaluation.

Seeing that I'd lose no matter what decision I made I decided to go with the answer with fewer consequences

"Yes I am new to magic, will that decrease the evaluation of me in your eyes?"

"hmm his thought process leading up to this decision is admirable, he thought of the pros and cons of his decisions and quickly chose the better option in the span of just a few seconds" he whispered to himself

"Please don't give me credit like that I simply wanted to tell the truth"

"You have great hearing Ayanokoji, well how about it? I will give you a temporary dorm room for you to sleep in for the duration of the entrance exam, I'll let you be near the library so you can do your research there about magic, does that sound good?"