CHAPTER 7: ARTWORKS

It has been 2 weeks now, 2 weeks in a state of bliss yet with confusion. After that day I had with Ervin, we've been spending our lunch together. I am enjoying his company, seeing him makes me feel safe. I don't know but that's what I feel.

I'm having a lunch now. NO, with Ralph. Confusing it is, right? I know deep in my heart I love Ralph. But wait, is it really love or is it just gratitude for he saved my heart from falling apart? Or maybe I became too blind of fairy tales that he gave me that made me not see the reality? I'm starting to doubt about my own feelings.

CONFUSE. CONFUSE. CONFUSE.

That word is what my mind is saying. I think I'm being bipolar. Happy at the moment and suddenly my mood will become gloomy. Ugh. It makes me sick.

Little by little I'm knowing the soul of Ervin. The stories he shared, the food we ate, and the time we spent together in just a couple of weeks. Just wonderful. No words can express of how Ervin brighten my life. The sun is nothing compared to it.

Ralph fetched me at school and walked with me to our house.

And suddenly...

Am I not mistaken? I'm seeing a man in white again.

"Is that Ervin?"

"You know him Pauleen?"

Ralph and Ervin did the shoulder bump.

"What are you doing here bro?"

"I live here and you?"

"It is a duty of a prince to make sure that his princess will be home safe."

"Oh Pauleen! How are you?" Ervin asked me.

"I'm doing good."

"Do you know each other?" said Ralph.

"Yes!" Ervin and I answered in unison.

"How come?"

Ervin looking directly in my eyes saying..

"Sometimes when the prince is not around, a superhero is always to the rescue and will be always to the rescue."

When Ervin said those words, my heart melted.

Ralph's face turned a bit red.

"Is that so? Well thank you for being a one day superhero. I'll make sure that I'll be forever at Pauleen's side."

Ralph eventually held my hand and to break the intense conversation I asked them..

"Why don't we go to your house Ervin?"

RALPH:

"That's a good idea."

ERVIN:

"Wait. Uhmm. Well then okay, let's go!"

We walked until we reached the house of Ervin.

"Do you want tea? Coffee? Soda? Sorry but I'm not used to have visitors in my house. It's my first time."

"Soda will do. But first, where is your comfort room?" said Ralph.

"Can you see that room? Turn right and there's the comfort room."

"Okay. Thanks!"

Ralph went to the comfort room and Ervin prepared our snacks. I was left alone in the living room and saw a piece of paper on the floor. I picked it up and I started to read.

"When you need a hand to hold,

Arms that will caress you when you're cold,

I'll be here 'til we get old,

I'll give you love which cannot be sold."

That's what the first stanza says. It moved me. As I try to read the second stanza I remember something, something familiar. I know now! Ralph and Ervin have similarities when it comes in their handwriting.

As I am starting to read the second stanza.

"Pauleen, I'm afraid to feel hap....."

Ervin saw me holding the paper and he grab it faster than a blink of an eye.

"Not this, Pauleen."

"I'm sorry. It was not my intention. Where's Ralph? Does it take 15 minutes to pee?"

"Let me check him."

Once again I was left wondering. Why he addressed me on his poem? What he was trying to say? Is that me? Or is it another Pauleen?

Ervin checked Ralph at the comfort room but he is not there. As he walked through the door of his room he noticed that it is slightly open. He entered his room and saw Ralph seriously staring at his paintings.

"What's the meaning of these bro?"

"What?"

"These paintings. Why do you keep on painting Pauleen?"

"Is that a big deal? She has the perfect face. So I decided that she will be the subject of my artworks."

"It that the only reason?"

"I bet it doesn't matter to you. After 3 months you're done with her. Right?"

"Ho..ho..how did you know?" Ralph said with a shaky voice.

"Did you forget? I'm a superhero. You made me wrote the poem for your first monthsary. That time, I already knew that you're not serious with Pauleen because if you do, you will make it by yourself, with sincerity. From then on, I investigated and found out that stupid deal with your brother. How could you do this to Pauleen?"

"Do what? What's the shouting all about?"

"It's nothing."

"Wait! Is that me? On those paintings?"

"No Pauleen. Let's go!"

Ralph grab my hand tightly and we walked out.