Chapter 4

I had already hit the panic button.

First it was her and now Emily.

What were these girls upto?

I tried ringing her boyfriend.

He didn't pick it up for the first five times. He was at work.

But when the sixth time I called him, he had already judged the importance and urgency of my call.

"Mark, Emily came to see you?", I asked trying to sound as less panic as I could.

"No!! Isn't she with you guys? And sorry Dan for your loss.", he said.

My loss.

I lost her.

The memories came gushing by.

Her sweet smile. Her soft hand. Her irresistible eyes. Her rosy lips.

I zoned out.

"Dan, are you there?", Mark had to confirm.

His voice pulled me out of the endless vortex of our memories.

"Yes.", I managed to reply.

"Emily?", Max asked.

" She's missing.", I answered without thinking.

The phone dropped from the other side and I totally felt déjà vu.

These two words were spoken to me by Emily herself, this morning at 5.

These two crazy girls, were sisters from another mothers. Nobody could handle being with them in the same room.
Both were completely opposite yet joined by the hip.
She was tall, Emily was short.
She was healthy (I'm not allowed to call her anywhere to fat) while Emily was skinny.
She was a nerd while Emily was the cheerleader captain.
She loved black while Emily loved pink.
She loved Emily while Emily loved her back.
They say opposites attract and they were a live example of the same.

Live.

Dead.

Shit.

This was taking me nowhere. I missed her. I missed her downright. She had no clue what she'd left behind.

I was snapped back to reality when Max's car screeched in front of me. I didn't want to be panicked about it but I remember doing the same thing when the exact same news was delivered to me few hours back.

He looked at me expectantly but I could do nothing but shrug.

Without a word I opened the passenger door to get in the car.

I sat there with dual motives.

One: to believe that these girls were crazy and this was just was another of their stupid heart attack giving prank.

Two: if it wasn't true then to find Emily and hopefully find her if she wasn't gone yet.

The engine turned off to find myself come face to face with her.

Emily.

She was walking towards the end of the bridge.

To do what!?

Die?

Is that girl out of her senses? Is she even conscious or somebody hypnotized her?

Max ran up just in time to pull her and push her into his embrace.

The scene was heart breaking enough for me to turn my back to them.

Wait.

What if I had gone to look out for her like Max did? Would I have even a little possibility of finding her? Would I be able to see her now? Would I be able to pull her into a embrace?

I'm a bad boyfriend. I could've saved her. I didn't even try. This seemed unfair for her.

Did she expect me to save her? Was she waiting for me to be there and coo her to sleep? She must have had high expectations from me. I disappointed her. I put her down. And unfortunately this wasn't a regular petty fight. I didn't let her down by not wearing a matching tie or by forgetting our monthly anniversary. I let her down by not being there when she needed me the most.

I didn't know when finally did those guys come back into the car and I took my seat at the driver's place and let the couple mourn about how near were they to losing each other.

I drove myself towards her house, only to remember about Henry the five.

"Where's Henry the five?", I targeted my question to no one in particular.

"Dog salon.", she responded.

I didn't even get amused by her answer because these girls were really bold.

"It was her last wish to see Henry the five with curly hair. She herself had booked the appointment. Maybe she hadn't planned all of this for today.", she tried to explain.

I looked at the lazy dog with purple curly hair and I couldn't hide the amused smile that adorned my face. She really was crazy.

I picked the dog and headed back to the car.
I remember Max hating Henry in his car but I suppose we all were to drained out to really talk or protest against anything.

It was long journey with deafening silence. If she was to be here both the girls wouldn't let us have one moment of peace. I regret asking her to keep her mouth shut that day not knowing that after a few days I wouldn't be able to hear her chirp about any damn topic under the wide sky.

We pulled over her driveway to find a lot of commotion outside her house. All our parents stood outside with exaggerated expressions.

There were some people trying to unload some heavy parcel while others stood there gaped.

Before I could see what it was Donald fainted and we all rushed towards him.

Him fainting was the last thing I wished had happened right now. I sighed a heavy sigh and was ready for part two of my life without her.