Between A Man and A Woman

If Gilbert Baugainvillea was ever unavailable to meet an arriving friend at the dock, then Violet would be there in his place, which was the case two days later when Jenna Callie was due to return. And just like Gilbert, Violet was not alone, either. Beside her stood Nora.
Violet's natural watchful silence was to be expected, of course, keeping her eyes to the distant horizon for any sign of a sea faring vessel. Nora's rather subdued demeanor, however, was far more unexpected.
"What is troubling you, Ellenora?" Violet asked, in a rare instance of speaking first.
Nora, looked down and sighed. "I, well, we, Petrich, too, can't seem to shake a sort of foolish guilt. If we had only known how uncomfortable Jenna could be with all this we would have never. . ."
Violet shook her head. "Gilbert would not have offered Casper's credentials if you were meant to have feelings of guilt."
"Yes, our trust lies completely in Gilbert that we did not make a poor decision, but, still, I would hate to have Jenna betrayed all over again."
"Your thoughts are mine." Violet replied, "But the very fact that asking Jenna's permission was Casper's own suggestion, gives my heart strength to see the honesty and truth in his."
Nora gave her a faint smile of relief. Violet Baugainvillea may have been a woman of few words, but those few words usually carried with them the most wisdom.
The steamship Galloway was scheduled to arrive at 1445. It began depositing its passengers at 1455. Geneva O'Bryan Callie stepped off the gangway, followed by a couple of porters with her luggage at exactly 1500 hours.
Even after three days of travel by sea, Jenna looked no less resplendent in a traveling outfit she had designed and constructed herself. Her natural, rich aubourn hair was swept off her neck and topped with a stylish aerodynamic designed hat, perfect for the strong sea breezes.
"Violet! Ellenora!" she called, approaching them, and giving them each a greeting of a loving embrace.
Nora still held onto Jenna, but now at arm's length. "How was the Presentation Tea?"
A great lovely smile spread across Jenna's mouth. "Better than I had even hoped for, my darling! Lady Mabry was most impressed with her baby's new wardrobe! It was a great success!" Jenna looked from Nora to Violet. "Oh! Did you come to fetch me? I could have just as easily called a cab to take me home."
"We've already hired a cab for you," Nora replied.
"We are to see you home." added Violet.
Jenna's eyes widened. "What's happened, Violet? Is it Toby?"
"No, Toby, Milan and the boys are fine." Nora insisted. "I saw them just yesterday at the market."
Jenna breathed a little easier and climbed into the cab. Once settled, and her two luggage trunks in the luggage hold, Jenna again asked, "Alright, if my brother and his family are well, then what is this about?"
Without further ado, Violet made straight to the point. "Casper Bridges has returned."
Jenna said nothing, but merely turned her face and stared out the window. Without taking her eyes off the passing scenery, she said, "Petrich chose him to build the observatory, didn't he?"
Nora and Violet glanced at each other.
"You knew Casper was being contracted?" Violet asked, a hint of surprise in her tone.
Jenna nodded, as the cab began to slow down and then halt in front of what would be considered a villa by Ecarte standards. On the steps leading up to the veranda stood Jenna's youthful housekeeper and gardener, awaiting to unload her trunks.
Once inside the parlor, Jenna removed her hat and gloves. She gave instructions for the young housekeeper to fetch some tea.
"Have a seat," she offered her two guests, "I must show you something."
Violet and Nora sat, as Jenna left the parlor and did not return until each of them had been served hot tea. Jenna strolled back into the parlor, having changed into a simple, yet very attractive skirt and blouse. Her hair was no longer pinned up, but falling in curling aubourn tresses about her shoulders.
Protectively against her chest Jenna held a stack of opened letters bound with a blue hair ribbon. She sat with the bundle on her lap, and delicately untied the ribbon. She lifted the first of the letters and gave it to Violet.
The letter read: