A Sort of Homecoming

Two Months Ago:

It was Gilbert Baugainvillea whom one could always depend upon to meet you at the dock and take you to his tidy, cozy bungalow where hot tea would be waiting. Today was no different.
Gilbert was not alone. With him stood Petrich Hollenburg, a younger man, with premature greying fair hair and a trimmed mustache in comfortable walking tweeds, cap and a small clay pipe clenched between his teeth.
At his feet lay a young border collie dog, no more than a year in age. It's dark, clear eyes kept close watch on the passengers disembarking the steam ship. Every once in a while it lifted its head to glance pleadingly up at its master.
"I know, Gretch," her master said to her sympathetically, "It's painful not to be able to greet everyone, but Mistress Nora expects you to behave."
The dog obediantly lay its head on its paws, as before and continued its watch.
"She's come a long way in her training over the last couple of months." Gilbert commented, "Doesn't even need a leash any more."
"She really has," Petrich agreed, "Nora finds that she's still a little too excitable around the sheep, and may never be ideal for herding." He then shrugged. "So be it. If she cannot be a herder, then she can be another Huter for me."
Gilbert grinned and nodded, understanding the status Petrich's former companion dog held. It was about time Petrich had himself another canine guardian like Huter had been.
"Ah! There's Casper now!" Petrich referred to a tall man in travel clothes stepping off the railed plank of the ship.
Petrich lifted his hand to capture the man's attention. "Mr. Bridges! Over here!" he called. The man waved back, approaching them with a jovial expression enhancing his natural handsome features.
He shook Petrich's outstretched hand heartily. "Would not have recognized you out of your formal attire, Petrich! Here you're every bit a regular country squire with walking stick and even a dog!"
"Ha!" laughed Petrich, "I'm nothing compared to Nora. She's at the cottage in trousers, bottle feeding a new born lamb as we speak!"
"Somehow I can imagine that." Casper replied, turning then to Gilbert.
They did not even bother taking each other's hand to shake. Instead, Gilbert embraced Casper. "Welcome back home, my boy,"
Casper stepped back after a moment, quickly passing a hand over his moist eyes. "Thank you, Gilbert. I've been looking forward to seeing you and Violet again." He looked at Petrich."I can't tell you how much I appreciate this opportunity."
Gilbert and Casper traveled back to Gilbert's home by means of a lorry to more easily transport Casper's luggage trunk. For the time being, here was where Casper would lodge. A more permanent residence, however, would be needed before too long. But this measure would suffice until all was sorted.
"Well, you did it again, headmaster." Casper said of the man who years ago did not operate a vineyard and winery, but was a war injured teacher of a one room school. "You made my university scholarship possible and now this. I am extremely grateful, I'll have you know."
Gilbert grinned. "You've never let us forget your gratitude, Cass. Your letters were full of it and hearing from you meant so very much to us. As for this recent opportunity, all I did was mention your name when Petrich was in need of an architect for his observatory. He took my advice and sought you out. Quite a tour you must have given him and Ellenora of your work. They were most impressed."
Gilbert brought the lorry to a halt along the low stone wall surrounding the white limestone, terra cotta roofed home where he and Violet had lived over the past twenty years.
"I must admit," said Gilbert thoughtfully, "I was surprised of your interest in the offer. You're no doubt flooded with contracts on the mainland."
"I put them all into pending status. This contract takes priority. I take it as a sign."
"A sign?"
"Yes. A sign to make amends however I may. . .however she will let me."
Gilbert looked at Casper for a moment, then said, "It is as I told you all those years ago, my boy. She has no obligation to accept your amends."
Casper sighed. "Yes, I know."
Gilbert reached out and squeezed Casper's shoulder. "But, I'll have you know, I have prayed to the gods so very often that she does. Now, come along. Violet has already peeked out the window there. She must be getting impatient for us."

         "Easy, Gretchen Girl," Petrich warned the young dog who was starting to get excited at the sight of a flock of grazing sheep as they neared the hillside cottage. "I know you want to gather them up, but let Ella and Ivan do their job."
         Said Ella and Ivan, the two older, far more experienced border collies lay at the perimeters of the flock. They glanced over at Gretchen and immediately made her aware that her presence was not welcome with low throaty growls.
         Gretchen merely let out a tiny whimper, but remained at Petrich's side. Petrich leaned down and gently stroked her head. "There's a good girl. Just leave them be."
          He then took out his waistcoat pocket a small bite of carrot he kept as reward and offered it for her obedience. Gretchen happily ate the treat and sniffed about for more, although she knew her master would not be forthcoming with any more treats until she earned it.
          By the time Nora emerged from tending the new born lambs, Petrich was relaxing outside in his wooden rocker chair. Beside him sat a pot of tea, two readied cups and a small plate of sweet buns he had purchased in the market place before heading home.
         "I take it Mr. Bridges arrived safely." she said after changing out of her trousers and freshening up for tea.
         "He did, yes." Petrich replied, pouring tea for them both. "Just nearly didn't recognize me, he said."
         Nora laughed. "Well, I shouldn't wonder. Only a couple of weeks ago we were dining in formals with him in Trouse! Now here we are in a shepherd's cottage with only sheep and dogs. Face it, darling, we are a bag of contradictions."
         Petrich grinned and shrugged. "I've been called a bag of worse things."
         "Well, true enough," Nora agreed, "I'm sure Gilbert was happy to see Casper after, how many years?"
         "He's around the same age as Violet and me. Mid-thirties, I'd say. He left Ecarte for university at, I should think eighteen or so. About fifteen years, then."
         "Doesn't it seem odd?"
         "What seems odd?"
         "Well, he talked about how he saw Gilbert as very much a father figure. Yet he has not even seen neither Gilbert nor Violet for at least fifteen years. That's odd to me."
          "Everyone is different about visiting others once they get going with their own lives."
          "Yes, I know, but . . ." Nora looked at him levelly. "How long could you go without visiting Dietfried? Or even my parents? Or Fitz as far away as Dresgorn?"
           "But, these are people to whom I owe my very life!"
           "I know. Sounds like Casper owes just as much to Gilbert and Violet. Maybe even more!"
           Petrich took time to think of a response by lighting his pipe. "Perhaps he felt unwelcome, by someone other than Gilbert and Violet." he mused.
           "Well, whatever it is, I hope it gets resolved, if it isn't already."
           "Yes, there is no one else I'd consider to build the observatory given his talents."
           To this Nora agreed wholeheartedly.