eight┊ ➶ 。˚ °

HEART TO HEART
ron !

Avery was beginning to worry she was going colourblind.

The windy shores and deserted trailer parks made shivers travel down her spine; it felt almost post-apocalyptic, travelling through all this abandoned land.

But she'd just reach for Hermione's sleeve and everything would feel just a tad bit better. The brunette would offer her a small smile of reassurance, even though the journey was taking a toll on her too.

It was taking its toll on the whole four, slowly sapping their energy. Avery noticed it the most in Ron, who seemed to have developed a distaste for Harry and Hermione's growing bond, and was becoming almost unbearable when it was his turn to wear the horcrux.

One evening, they set up camp on an unfruitful land basically nowhere, and settled down for the night.

Avery was settled on her bunk, which had basically become both her and Hermione's bunk at that point, watching as her best friend cut away at Harry's hair. She didn't mind the normalness, the domesticity of the moment.

Her eyes lingered on Hermione's focused frown and she smiled ever so slightly. Just slightly.

She watched as Hermione suddenly stood up, her eyes wide. "Oh my God."

"What?" Avery and Harry said in unison, both of them rising to their feet after her.

"I'll tell you in a minute," Hermione told them, taking her book from tye table and flipping through it.

"Maybe you could tell me now?" Harry urged.

"The sword of Gryffindor, it's goblin made," Hermione explained enthusiastically, a small spark in her eyes Avery had greatly missed.

"Brilliant," Harry gave her a thumbs-up.

Avery tipped her head to the side and stepped over to the brunette.

"No, you don't understand. Dirt and rust have no effect on the blade, it only takes in what makes it stronger."

Avery peered over her shoulder at the book, her breath ghosting over Hermione's neck. For some odd reason she saw goosebumps form there.

The brunette began to pace as continued. "Harry, you've already destroyed one Horcrux, right? Tom Riddle's diary in the Chamber of Secrets."

"With a basilisk fang. If you tell me one of you two have a bloody fang in those bags of yours.."

"I don't," Avery cast Hermione's beaded bag a slightly wary glance.

"Don't you see? In the Chamber of Secrets, you stabbed the Basilisk with the sword of Gryffindor. It's blade is impregnated with Basilisk venom-" Hermione ranted.

"-ohh, and it only takes in what makes it stronger!" Avery's eyes widened almost comically. "So it can destroy Horcruxes!"

"That's why Dumbledore left it for Harry in his will," Hermione went on, her cheeks a little pink.

"You are brilliant, Hermione, truly," Harry shook his head in disbelief.

"Incredible," Avery agreed, making the brunette flush an even rosier colour.