Chapter 3: Sweet distraction

It's funny how such cute incidents help me feel good. Arohi mused as she prepared to wind down for the night. Despite the challenges and occasional tensions at work, moments like these brought a lightness to her heart. She couldn't help but smile, thinking about her crush on Arjun. It was a delightful distraction, and amusingly enough, her new crush was also Marathi.

"Well, now it's a day off, so it's time to sleep," Arohi whispered to herself. She made her way to the washroom, ready to indulge in her recently acquired passion—skincare. Washing her face with a gentle cleanser, she felt the day's grime and stress wash away. She then applied her favorite face serum, waiting the requisite ten minutes before layering on her night cream.

"Ahhh, why is skincare so expensive?" Arohi cribbed, shaking her head at the thought of the 5,000 rupees she had spent on beauty products. "Spending so much on skincare, I don't even have that high a salary. Why is adulting, being independent, so difficult?" she sighed, contemplating the financial strains that came with managing her own life.

Plugging in her earbuds, Arohi scrolled through her playlist, today opting for the soothing sounds of Coldplay. As "The Scientist" began to play, she felt a wave of calm wash over her. The familiar melody and poignant lyrics were a perfect end to her day, lulling her into a peaceful state.

Wrapped in the cocoon of music, Arohi drifted off to sleep, her mind settling into a tranquil dreamscape. Tomorrow would bring its own set of challenges and triumphs, but for now, she found solace in the sweet distractions and the promise of a new day.

While everything seemed right, it was that part of the night now where she was lost completely. In the depths of her dreams, a strong grip held her, an oppressive force that made her skin crawl. The rough beard brushing against her face wasn't gentle or kind; it was invasive, making her want to flee. Beside her, two empty beer bottles lay discarded, their presence a haunting reminder of a night she wished to forget.

With a start, Arohi jolted awake, her heart racing. She glanced at the clock: 4:30 am. "Why this dream out of nowhere?" she murmured, her voice trembling with paranoia. The vivid nightmare had dredged up memories she'd tried hard to bury.

"I was crazy to do that," she thought, trying to make sense of her actions. "It was a weak moment for me. I never wanted to, but I wanted to move on so desperately. So I did the most basic thing—I downloaded a dating app, swiped, and decided to meet a guy. I almost jeopardized myself that night." Her mind replayed the events in a whirlwind of regret and confusion.

"And why did I do that? Because Jash lived next to his house," she admitted to herself. "I thought I'd show him—see, I've moved on."

Arohi's thoughts swirled in the quiet darkness of her room. The reckless decision to meet a stranger in an attempt to prove her independence had led her to a situation that still haunted her dreams. She had jeopardized her safety, all in a misguided effort to forget Jash and convince herself that she had moved on.

Taking a deep breath, Arohi tried to steady her racing heart. The past had a way of creeping back in, especially in the stillness of the night.

She zoned out to that night. It was 9:30 pm, and she was chatting with Rohit, the guy she had met on the dating app.

Rohit: "Hey, how about joining me for a chilled beer at my place?"

Arohi: "I don't have any plans tonight. Where do you live?"

Rohit: "Versova. It's a nice place, you'll love it."

The moment Arohi realized Rohit lived in Versova, she couldn't resist the temptation. The proximity to Jash's place tugged at her heart, and she impulsively agreed to meet him.

Arohi:"Sure, sounds good. I'll see you in a bit."

By 11 pm, she found herself in an auto rickshaw heading to Versova. Love is a fickle thing, she mused, it makes a person mad. Her love for Jash had driven her to this point. The familiar roads brought a rush of memories, and she reminisced about her morning walks with Jash, the wild adventures they shared.

"Hahahaha, these mangroves," she whispered to herself. "We were going to bring each other into the mangroves, remember? When I said, 'Do something wrong and I'll cut you through into the mangroves,' and he turned it romantic by saying, 'I am all yours, with you even the mangroves are fun.'"

Arohi's thoughts were filled with Jash, as if she were talking to him in her head. The auto rickshaw came to a halt, breaking her reverie. Her phone rang, jolting her back to reality.

"Yes, yes, I have reached," Arohi said, answering the call.

"Ok, come to the 2nd floor, B wing," Rohit instructed.

She paid the rickshaw driver and walked toward the building. The night was eerily silent, broken only by the distant hum of the city. As she approached the building, a cat meowed suddenly, making her jump. The unsettling quietness of the place heightened her anxiety.

The flat's nameplate read something unfamiliar, and an unsettling feeling crept over her. The environment felt serious, almost thrillingly sinister. She rang the bell, her heart pounding in her chest. The door opened slowly, and Rohit's gaze swept over her, assessing.

Arohi stepped inside, her instincts screaming caution. The flat was dimly lit, and the air was thick.

"Come," he said, his voice low and slightly unnerving.