Chapter V: Distant View (Pt.4)

"It's like being opposed by an opposite force," Damien remarked as he retracted his hand. "The harder I push, the more resistance I get."

      "Let's see if we can find its limits," Arne grinned as they charged their arm with spirit energy before slamming it into the outer barrier. To each of our surprise, Arne was flung backward with force, sending them screeching to a stop a few dozen feet away.

      "It redistributed my strength?" Arne was perplexed.

      Tymon, care to try shadow traveling next to Lisa?

      Tymon proceeded to try. His shadow came to life like usual, but when he tried to step into it, he found that he couldn't enter.

      "Strange. It feels the same way it does when I try to shadow travel to somewhere unfamiliar—like I can't get a location."

      Precisely. It would be the same if you attempted to escape from within the barrier, but as I mentioned, you would need only to break the inside borders.

      "Okay, thanks, Viraa, for enlightening us," I spoke, eager to start practicing again.

      "Well, that's it for now, guys," I started politely ushering them out. "Give me some time to get my abilities down, and I'll join everyone for combat training, okay."

      I didn't wait for a response as they were practically pushed out of the room, and the door locked behind them.

      "Okay," I breathed. "Hey Viraa, you think we can take a break from learning about my new cintracies for a bit? I don't want to stack too much on my plate at once, so let's focus on getting used to Lift and a couple of other quick things I want to try before we move on."

      Very well. What do you have in mind?

      "First," I began as I sat on the floor, crossing my legs. "At minimum, I should at least learn how to fly like the rest of them as soon as possible, so I'll start there."

      I closed my eyes and thought back to the lesson my dad had given to Tymon when he learned how to fly.

      First, surround my body in an aura, I imitated.

      I focused and willed some of my abundance of energy to completely cover my body, granting it a turquoise aura that flowed around me.

      Now, focus on gathering some beneath me—enough to push me off the floor.

      At first, I kept making the annoying mistake of making the energy too flimsy to lift me, but on my fifth attempt, I finally landed it. While still sitting, I willed my energy upward until I floated several feet off the ground. From there, I spread that same level of energy throughout my aura, allowing me to move my body as I wanted yet still remain in the air.

      Now, to get used to moving around...

      I spent the following half-hour adjusting to flying. At first, I was a wobbling mess bumping into the walls, but I quickly got a feel for it and could eventually fly confidently. I couldn't do any tricks or quick maneuvers yet, but I felt good about my flying skills—enough to move on from flying for the time being anyway.

      It is exceptional how much of a quick study you are, Viraa complimented.

      "It's all in the genes," I joked with an appreciative smile.

      I sat effortlessly in a meditative position in midair. With my eyes closed, I focused on using Temporal Sight. Now that my energy reserves were much higher, I wanted to learn how to use it properly.