I: Swan Meets Dreamless

Mei Seishiro's POV (Flashback)

𝐈 sat by the window of my library, engrossed with the concept of time-travel. It was a warm summer afternoon and the sun shined brightly through the window, enlightening the words of knowledge before me. I had always been fascinated with the idea of going back in time to make different choices and how it would affect fate. I heard someone come into my library and saw the shadow approach me from the corner of my eye. "What are you reading, Mei-san?" He spoke I look up from my book. 'Oh it's Kyojuro-san.' 

"I'm reading about time-travel." I replied, giving him a small nod before going back to reading. I heard him sit next to me and I look up to see his face just inches away from mine. I panicked and moved back a little, surprised to see him so close to my face. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." He rubbed the back of his neck while awkwardly laughing to himself. I stared at him. 'I wasn't even uncomfortable.' Confused, I tilted my head sideways, "Why are you here, Kyojuro?" I ask, setting my book to the side. He smiled and I could feel his warmth radiating on to me, literally.

"I just wanted to see you before I go on my next mission," He said turning his usual warm smile into a feint one. "I've got a bad feeling about this one though," he admitted, I scooted closer to him. Our arms touching and our hands almost holding each other. I nudged him playfully, "You're probably just nervous." I laughed, "You're the Flame Hashira. Nothing can go wrong." 

He smiled and looked at me with a soft look in his eyes. "Mei, when I come back I'm going to give you something that's very important to me." He said and I blushed, 'How can he say that so casually.' I turned away breaking the stare, "I'll be looking forward to it." and leaned on his shoulder. He took my hand in his and put his head on top of mine. We sat in silence, enjoying the company of each other.

'I wish this moment would last forever.'

A few days later, I was training in my courtyard. It was decorated nicely with various kinds of flowers, all shapes and colors. Me and Kyojuro had spent time taking care of this courtyard as a symbol of  friendship that later bloomed into something anew. I loved to train here because it reminded me of the him. After hitting the wooden dummy a couple thousand times, I looked up at the sky and shielded my eyes from the scorching, summer sun. 'I wonder how Kyojuro is doing.' Then I think back to what he said days prior, I shake my head in disbelief, 'I'm crazy for thinking the unimaginable.' 

I finished training for the day, grabbed a towel and went inside. I walked into the kitchen and sat at the table. I wiped the sweat from my face and thought about what I needed to do for the day. Suddenly I heard loud footsteps running in my estate, they got closer and the person turned the corner. It was Shinobu Kocho, she was panting heavily like she had seen something terrifying. "Mei-san it's urgent!" She said panting, holding on to the door frame. I stood up and rushed to her side. "Breathe Kocho! Breathe." I sling my arm around her to help her regain her balance. She grabbed my hand harshly and looked up at me. She was sweating profusely as tears streamed down her red face, "You have to come with me." She dragged me out of my estate and took me to the headquarters. 

I was surprised to see the headquarters in full chaos. Attendants were running around, hurriedly preparing something in the building, but I couldn't see what they were doing. Shinobu dragged me admist the chaos and brought me to a room. All the hashira gathered in the room, sitting in a circle. I noticed that in the middle there was a stretcher with a blanket over top. I bowed to the others and took an empty seat next to Giyuu Tomioka. Kocho took the seat next to me. 

I looked around. The other hashiras were either drowned in silence or outright mourning. Mitsuri Kanroji dealing with the most out of them. "What's going on?" I asked Giyuu, he looked at me with an expression that I had never seen him do before. "There has been a death." He said and didn't explain further. I looked at Kanroji who was quietly sobbing in Obanai Iguro's arms. There was no way, surely it wasn't Kyojuro.