II: Swan Awakening

Mei Seishiro's POV

𝐓𝐡𝐞 clocked ticked as the seconds went by. 'It's half past 4.' I read as I decided if I wanted to get up or not.

Surrounded by the familiar off-white walls and wooden trim, the Butterfly Mansion made me feel at ease. The window allowing the moonlight to pass through as crickets sung in the grass. 'I'm actually back in the past.' I turned in the bed. 'If this is a dream I never want to wake up.' I thought, clutching the blanket wrapped around me.

I felt something cold drip from my forehead, 'A towel?' I sat up and removed the neatly folded towel from my head placing it on the table next to the bed. I looked out the window. "It's was so nice back then." I said admiring the moon, I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice the door open.

"Ara? Mei-san, you're up?" I turn my head around to face the sound of the voice. Shinobu Kocho. "Kocho-san?" I look at the tray she was holding, it had a bowl of water and a towel. "I came to change your towel, but it seems you have woken up already." Shinobu lit the candle on the table and sat on the stool next to the bed.

The dim light luminated her face so I could see her properly. I watched in silence as she dipped the towel in the water. Squeezing out the excess and folding the towel neatly. Then she motioned for me to lay down and placed the towel on my head.

Shinobu had a concerned look on her face, she grabbed my hand. I could feel her tremble as she tried to keep her composure.

"I have no idea why you pushed yourself so hard." She started, her purple eyes staring into my bright blue ones. "Rengoku-san found you and brought you to me. You overheated your body too much, don't do that. Rengoku-san and I were worried" Shinobu nagged, her eyes still on my own.

I broke the stare and faced at the wall. Shinobu's nagging made me crumble."You were always so cold to everyone." Sanemi's words rung in my head. I sighed, I guess it doesn't hurt to try and be nice.

I turned back to face Shinobu, her eyes now fixated on the window. I smiled at her, "I'm sorry for making you worry Kocho-san." Her eyes widened at my apology,

'Did I do something wrong?' I watched as her expression changed.

She let go of my hand and abruptly stood up. Shinobu had a small smiled planted on her face. "I have never felt such warmth from someone as cold as you, Mei-san," she teasingly said, I didn't know if I should take it as a compliment or an insult. "But I hope to see this side of you more."

The Insect Hashira left leaving the Ice Hashira dumbfounded. 'Was I really that cold in my past life?'  I tried to recall my behavior back then. My face softened as the memories of myself being alone flooded my mind. I sighed, 'Yeah I guess I never really talked to anyone other than Kyojuro-san and Giyu-kun.'

The clock ticked past 6 and the sun slowly rose on the horizon. The sunlight seeped through the window, brightening up the room. I looked at my unscathed palms, clenching my fists as I came to the conclusion. 'I'm going to change... Maybe.' I silently declared but deep down I knew changing myself was going to be harder than others.

———

"And... we're done!" Shinobu announced as she removed the last bandage from my arm. "Thank you Kocho-san." I thank her and inspected the wound. "It should go away soon it's just a scratch." Shinobu chuckled and stood up.

She led me to the front of the mansion and I listened as she talked about various topics. I'd be lying to say that I wasn't interested to hear what she had to say. Back then, Shinobu and I only worked together in the infirmary when I wasn't on a mission. I never realized a mere butterfly could talk so much.