Chapter 14: I Loved Her First

"Mikhail Juana! Nakabuntis ka?!"

"Ah—eh—baka pangalawang apo mo na, Mom," Mikee said, scratching her head nervously, a sheepish grin spreading across her face.

"Ano?!" the doctor exclaimed, her mouth falling open in shock, eyes wide with surprise.

"Hehe, una na po kami. Let's go, Marti," Mikee quickly said, scooping up Martina with a swift motion, and heading for the door almost at a run. Martina giggled, wrapping her arms around Mikee's neck as they hurried out of the clinic.

The doctor sighed, shaking her head with a mix of amusement and exasperation. As she looked around her now quiet office, her eyes fell on the little comb brush Martina had left on her table. It was pink with sparkles, and a small, worn-out sticker of a princess was peeling off the handle. A few strands of Martina's hair were caught in the bristles.

Mikee prepared dinner for Martina, lighting a candle on the table to make it special. She cooked nuggets for Martina and risotto and steak for Avi and herself. The aroma of the food filled the cozy kitchen, mixing with the soft glow of the candlelight.

Martina clapped her hands when she saw her food, her hunger growing after their mini field trip at the hospital. Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she climbed onto her chair, the flickering candlelight reflecting in her eager gaze.

"Martina, let's eat na raw sabi ni mommy. She'll be home late since she has a lot of work to do," Mikee said. The ever-understanding Martina nodded, her little face lighting up with a knowing smile.

"I love you, Dada," Martina said before digging into her food, her innocent words making Mikee's eyes well up with tears.

"I love you too, baby. No one can ever hurt you while I'm here," Mikee replied, her voice thick with emotion.

As they ate, the room was filled with the sound of laughter and clinking cutlery. Martina couldn't stop talking about their day, her excitement bubbling over. She described the models and diagrams with animated gestures, her tiny hands painting vivid pictures in the air.

Mikee listened, her heart swelling with joy. The candle flickered softly, casting a warm glow over their faces, making the evening feel magical and intimate. The bond between them felt stronger than ever, and Mikee silently vowed to always be there for her daughter.

After dinner, they shared a bowl of ice cream, giggling as they took turns feeding each other. Martina's eyes were wide with wonder as she recounted every detail of their hospital visit, from the way the tiny cells grew into a baby to the fascinating instruments her lola had shown her.

"Dada, can we visit lowla again? I want to learn more!" Martina's eyes shone with enthusiasm, her cheeks flushed with excitement.

"Of course, sweetheart. We'll visit lola anytime you want," Mikee said, ruffling Martina's hair lovingly.

Mikee saw her phone light up, thinking it was Avi, but it was Leonard who messaged her. Her mood suddenly shifted from joy to pain. The weight of the message seemed to press down on her, making her heart ache.

"Dada?" Martina asked, noticing a tear on Mikee's cheek. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm just happy that you love me," Mikee said, though Martina was already engrossed in her ice cream, oblivious to the emotional storm brewing in Mikee's heart.

Mikee decided to shift the mood and put on some music, playing "I Loved Her First" by Heartland.

"Baby, may I have this dance?" Mikee asked, offering her hand to Martina. The little girl giggled as she took her dada's hand, and Mikee lifted her so they were at the same height while dancing slowly. The room seemed to glow, the flickering candle casting soft shadows on the walls.

🎶
Look at the two of you dancin' that way
Lost in the moment and each other's face
So much in love, you're alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
🎶

Mikee's love for Martina was deep and real, but her fear of not being her real parent grew every day, especially now that Leonard was involved. Leonard wanted a DNA test, and Mikee didn't know how he found out, but it didn't matter. What mattered now was that she loved Martina first and held her first.

🎶
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one, she told me so
And she still means the world to me, just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything, life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way
🎶

Mikee noticed Martina crying, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Why are you crying, baby?"

"I don't know. I'm not sad, but I feel like my heart is gonna explode. I feel like I love you so much, dada," Martina said, overwhelmed by emotions, her small voice quivering.

🎶
But I loved her first, I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
🎶

🎶
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first
🎶

Unnoticed by the two, Avi had arrived and was watching them dance. Tears welled up in her eyes at the sight, her heart swelling with love. She promised herself that even if they discovered Mikee wasn't Martina's biological parent, nothing would change. The bond they shared was too strong to be broken by blood alone.

As the song played on, Mikee held Martina close, feeling the warmth and love between them. Martina's little hands clung to Mikee's shoulders, her tears mixing with a smile. The room seemed to wrap around them in a cocoon of love and light, every flicker of the candle capturing a memory of their bond.

"Dada, will you always love me?" Martina whispered, her voice filled with innocent hope.

"Forever and always, baby," Mikee replied, kissing Martina's forehead with a promise that felt like it could hold the universe together.

Avi quietly stepped forward, joining them in their embrace. The three of them stood together, a family bound by love, ready to face whatever challenges came their way. The room seemed to hum with their collective heartbeats, the music a soft backdrop to the silent vows they made to each other.

As they swayed gently to the fading notes of the song, Martina's eyes closed, her head resting on Mikee's shoulder. Avi wrapped her arms around them both, feeling the completeness of their little family. No matter what the DNA test said, this moment was theirs, and nothing could take that away.

***
A/N: short update muna! Lapit na tayo sa climax. Kapit lang kayo and trust the process huhu naiiyak ako habang sinusulat to