24 | a star in a sunny sky

24 ☆ ( "HE'S HANGING ON BY A THREAD

24 ☆ ( "HE'S HANGING ON BY A THREAD." )

"Not coming to class?" Teacher Fujii opened the door to his personal office, knowing that I was already awake

"Not coming to class?" Teacher Fujii opened the door to his personal office, knowing that I was already awake. I looked at the painting installed over summer break, looking at it with great intensity. Purple and pink over the horizon. But ultimately, the sun drew itself as the main emblem of the piece. Different shades of green represent a grass hill. A girl stared at it. Teacher Fujii shuffled, causing me to assume that he was probably leaning against the doorframe. "Like the painting?"

"I do," I nodded. "What's its significance?"

"My student in art school painted it for me–the title is 'A Star In A Sunny Sky,' and the girl in question is herself," Teacher Fujii walked up to me, both of us next to each other. "She said it represents her escape into the sun, otherwise known as the future–that one day, she'll be a better version of herself, although her life is fine as is. That's why the sun is brighter than any part of the piece–to emphasize how much her future is keeping her going."

Teacher Fujii turned to me, staring. "What? See yourself in her place?"

"Yeah. But, I don't think about the future that much to the point I'd make an art piece about it," I faced him, seeing him roll his eyes. "I mean it. I want to escape, but I don't think it's in the future. Maybe just–"

"From everything, no matter the destination. Right?" Read my mind. I pressed my lips together, nodding slowly. "You're lucky that I haven't told any of your friends and your boyfriend that you're cooped up in here for quite some time. I even told them I didn't know where you were."

"Are you saying that you would've if you could?"

"...No," Teacher Fujii hesitated, clearing his throat. "I'm just saying that I've been doing a lot of blessings for you despite you owing me as Class President. You're indebted to me, okay?"

"Ugh, fine. I'll do your dirty work as needed," I rolled my eyes, causing Teacher Fujii to pat my back. "If there's anything important, just give me the papers. Okay? I'll do the notes."