33 | i don't love you

33 ☆ ( "I LOVE YOU

33( "I LOVE YOU... TOO." )

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day.

Instead of being with Riki on this oh-so-beloved day, I came face-to-face with a familiar friend.

Or, really, an enemy.

"Are you sure you don't want to go spend Valentine's Day with the person you're in love with?" I looked up from my coffee, giving her a bland look. She snorted, shaking her head. Her beautiful, cinnamon hair shifted on her shoulders, resembling something close to wings. "Don't do that. I didn't think that you'd prefer your ex-enemy over your present lover."

"Anything is better than my present lover, Yamaguchi," She smiled softly, crossing her arms. "But, I think I prefer you the most. Like they say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Turns out that somehow, we ended up in the same spot."

"You could say that," She nodded. "But, what I don't get is how you knew I had plans of going before Teacher Fujii told you–and, I don't get why you don't just break up with Nishimura. He can't be that soft-hearted."

"You'd be surprised," With my lips pursed, I mocked her actions, crossing my arms. "I knew that you wanted to go there because of your friends who stayed at school. They kept talking about how you were planning to apply, even if you barely walked the halls after. I just needed the confirmation."

Yamaguchi narrowed her eyes. "If I didn't know you as well as I somewhat do, I'd think you were in love with me."

"Infatuated is the preferred term," She chuckled. "But really, Yamaguchi, you're the only one who somehow sees right through me. I want to befriend you for it–and put away that hatred."

"I'm honored. I suppose I can put past my old prejudice for you Sato–but not that it happened completely," She turned her hand over, showing me her scarred palm. I frowned, but she continued chuckling. "This isn't the wound. The wound is that I once used to be like you."

"Like me?"

"Soft-spoken. Hard-headed. Upset at the word and everything that didn't give me the right answer," Yamaguchi explained, retracting her hand and letting it lay on the rim of her cup. "And then, I got popular. I was called the cutest. But, deep down, I wanted to return to my sense of serenity–and eventually, you granted it. I'm not happy I'm back to square one like I did back then. There's too much overthinking and too much isolation."