ep | what remains of us

EPILOGUE ☆ ( "I'LL LEAVE YOU SUSPENDED

EPILOGUE( "I'LL LEAVE YOU SUSPENDED." )

"Teacher Sato," I look up from my paper

"Teacher Sato," I look up from my paper. It's one of my junior high students. She stares at me for a moment before turning over her hand, crimson blood all over her wrists. "Sorry. I was cutting something for my journal, and I accidentally sliced my palm. The nurse wasn't available, so–"

"Yeah, come here," I don't panic. Blood wasn't something that fazed me anymore–neither did bubblegum, bridges, or deep water. She walks toward me and with her lips pursed, sticks her arm out. I grab a glove from my compartment and slide the trash can under her wrist, making sure the blood that drips won't get over the freshly clean floor. As I run her hand under some water, I gaze at her stoic face. "Does it not hurt?"

"No, it kind of just... feels like my heart is beating on it," She describes. I chuckle, using my free hand to ruffle her hair. "I'm surprised you aren't freaking out. When I showed the other teachers, they panicked, not knowing what to do. They started screaming."

"Well, I'm not one of those other teachers, am I?" Her grin grows, and she makes sure to straighten her arm fully. "Make sure you be careful next time, okay? I don't want you to hurt yourself any more than you have right now."

"I promise I'll be more careful," She sticks up her pinky finger. I entangle it with mine before placing a big bandage over her cut, throwing my bloody glove in the trash can. "I hope you know you're my favorite Teacher, Teacher Sato. You know the solution to everything and know every subject in the book. I don't know what I'll do once I'm in senior high without you."

"Don't worry, Watanabe," Watanabe Chieko. She's my pupil, just like how I was with Mr. Fujii. "Feel free to come back and visit, and I can help you with anything you want."

"Really?" Her eyes sparkle. I nod eagerly, and she claps her hands softly to avoid irritation. "That's great. Then, I will, Teacher Sato. Hey, but, when are you going home? It's already late."

"When are you leaving? I'll walk you outside."

"Really? Let's go now, then!" I guess I'm leaving my work for tomorrow. I suppose I can just come in early and finish grading their exams. It doesn't bother me. Chieko quickly grabs her bag from the locker at the back of my classroom and I close the door behind us. In unison, we cascade down the stairs, the night illuminated by the streetlights and distant neon signs of Tokyo.